Thread: Juvenile Barn Swallow

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Juvenile Barn Swallow

I don't usually include man-made elements in my bird pics, but old fence posts and rusted barbed wire seems to be ok exceptions. This was taken from my car, and only minor tweaks in Lightroom to levels and saturations, plus sharpening. Also, noise reduction in Photoshop to the background. It's the original crop...it's a bit close on the left side, but I decided not to add any canvas to the left.

Canon 7D II
    500mm f4 at 5.6
    1/2000 sec
    ISO 800
    on a beanbag

Name:  Barn-Swallow1200post.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  368.7 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice pose and close up of these avian rockets. Like you I avoid man made objects but don't mind the rusted wire at all. After all they are Barn Swallows and this is where you see them. Overall I think the image is a tad flat and could use some contrast and perhaps a little more saturation in the bird. Nice done though.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a beauty! I love the pose, and the rusty parts of the wire match the swallow's colours - cool. Perhaps a touch tight in the frame for my personal tastes, but not too bad.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine shot it is my assumption (length of tail) this is a juvenile hence the slightly muted colours, the space is a little limited on the left but I think you have got away with it. There appears to be a little ghosting on the barbed wire on the right hand side, I think it is a hair.