Thread: Female common kestrel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Female common kestrel

Attached Images Attached Images

Nikon D500 in manual mode with Sigma 150-600 C @ 440mm / f 6.0 / ISO 800 / SS 1/640 on Induro AT 414 tripod from a blind / late afternoon and gray sky / +1.7 EC

This kestrel is one of the three that come very close to our riding stables. I set up some "natural" perches around the area and they love to play together and "paint the town red" (<- correct use of this idiom?).

When photographing at this location I am VERY limited with my position (sunlight angle and where the birds are not too shy to land in the meadow and sit on the perch means I have to use the sky as background as in a lower position the white electric fences are everywhere in th e background).

LR CC settings:

• RAW processing
    • Nikon Portrait profile
    • +3 saturation
    • +5 vibrance
    • small angle adjustment
    • (high) sharpening for screen on LR export after PS adjustments

PS CC adjustments

• 25% sharpening of claws and face
    • a bit more exposure to the eye

What do you think? What can I do better next time? Regarding eyes I am often unsure how to improve them while keeping them look natural.

Best wishes and thanks in advance!
    Christian
    Last edited by Christian Muellner; 08-12-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent detail, I think the crop is a little tight and overall could be brighter

Threads
    Thank You Posts

100% agree with Glenn's comments. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

4. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another vote for a bit of brightness needed with a looser crop, possibly something along these lines

Name:  ketrel-close-up-rp.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  381.3 KB

Mike

6. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely, detailed image Christian, I agree with the feedback provided. TFS

8. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image, I agree with the comments already made. I would also try punching up the contrast just a bit, either with a small nudge of the contrast slider or with the tone curve.

10. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird, nicely shown. I think the previous comments are spot on. Thank you for sharing, Christian.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

12. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

More space around and I think you will have a great looking image. As said, the contrast would also enhance as per Mikes repost.

Will

14. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for your helpful comments and your effort!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Christian,

Welcome and thanks a stack for your membership support.

Working from Mike Poole's excellent repost in Pane #4 I added and filled in canvas on three sides and did tiny bit of Eye Doctor and NIK Color EFEX Pro work. While the perch leaves something to be desired the rest is superb.

Did you have more room in the original?

a

ps: each time that you post an image please make an effort to critique 5 images post by others :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

17. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Christian,

Welcome and thanks a stack for your membership support.

Working from Mike Poole's excellent repost in Pane #4 I added and filled in canvas on three sides and did tiny bit of Eye Doctor and NIK Color EFEX Pro work. While the perch leaves something to be desired the rest is superb.

Did you have more room in the original?

a

ps: each time that you post an image please make an effort to critique 5 images post by others :)
    Hi Arthur,

thank you for your advice and the photo editing work. Unfortunately, this is full frame and I have to wait for the next opportunity, but that should not be a problem as the kestrels show up every ~60 minutes in this area. I try to get some better shots with the fast 70-200 by moving my artificial natural perch I built the day before yesterday a bit closer to the blind.

I wonder how you would do the Eye Doctor work by hand.

Next time I will do some critique by myself :-D. Thanks.

Best wishes,
    Christian

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Muellner View Post
    Hi Arthur,

thank you for your advice and the photo editing work. Unfortunately, this is full frame and I have to wait for the next opportunity, but that should not be a problem as the kestrels show up every ~60 minutes in this area. I try to get some better shots with the fast 70-200 by moving my artificial natural perch I built the day before yesterday a bit closer to the blind.

I wonder how you would do the Eye Doctor work by hand. Next time I will do some critiquing myself :-D. Thanks. Best wishes, Christian
    Hi again Christian, When I first commented I forgot to attach my repost. It seems that you might not have seen my repost with the added canvas. Did you see it now in Pane #10?

If the bird likes the post in the photo you can simply tape a more natural perch to it. Many times the bird will land on that within minutes...

The details of digital Eye Doctor work and tons more great Photoshop tips (including adding and filling in canvas) are detail in my Digital Basics file. You can learn more or purchase the PDF here.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

20. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post