Thread: Puffin and grasses

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Puffin and grasses

Attached Images Attached Images

I am not sure about this one. I find all the green a bit overwhelming but like the angel pose.
    I also wish I could see the feet but the frame prior to this is not tack sharp and the wings are not in a nice position.
    The entrance to the burrow is on the right lower corner- you can just see a hint of it. Dull,gray day.
    Keep or delete?
    Canon 1Dx 1.4 X
    ISO 1600 SS 1/2500 F 5.6
    Crop to 60% FF. Nothing added or cloned
    Levels,NR to BG, sharpening and added +1 point of black in selective coloring to the neutrals as the puffin was a bit washed out.
    Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Gail, its a keeper for me because it depicts habitat, the burrow, and behavior. I also like the wings on this landing puffin along with an enormous fish bundle... Wow! The head of the puffin could use a bit more black. Well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It sure is a different type of puffin image that is for sure. I see what you mean about being on the fence with it. I do like it as the habitat is pretty cool, so is the pose. It's good overall, just a little something about it keeping it from being great. Perhaps the same reasons you point out. If mine I'd likely get rid of the small white flowers along the bottom edge (center).

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail I like the image, it is different from the usual Puffin frames, but, as Ann pointed out it does show Puffin behaviour. Love the pose and I can just imagine the Puffling getting excited in the burrow, knowing that the parent has arrived with food

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would keep this one. I did feel the over abundance of the green vegetation when first viewing the image but like the wing position and the large amount of fish in the beak. I like that it shows the environment with the burrow opening which makes it a unique puffin image. I wonder if a tighter crop to eliminate the amount of green would work any better?

TFS
    Geoff

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I see why you are in the fence with this one. I also like the habitat but I don't think it goes well with the dynamic pose here, if the puffin was more static I think it would work better for this shot as the habitat and action compete with each other for attention. I would keep it though.

There is visible noise on the darker plumage and the colors look a bit dull on my screen.

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree it's not your strongest shot (the curse of setting high standards!) but it's certainly not a delete. The landing in the vegetation makes this different from the norm, and I don't mind the feet not being in the shot.

I think the blacks on the bird looks little thin and like Arash I see a bit of noise, but as an overall shot I do like it.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would keep it for the reasons noted above -- because it's different from the usual Puffin shot of which I'm sure you have many. I like the open wings, and the translucent fishies. The bird does feel a bit washed out and I wonder if a few points of black would help him.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would definitely crop it more and increase the blacks, a keeper

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm on the fence too, as you are. Nothing really stands out in this one for me although the techs look good and I like the mouthful of fish. Adding a bit of blacks or contrast would help as mentioned. Well done Gail
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail, sharp detail on the bird. I see two things I would try... crop tighter if IQ allows and raise the saturation and contrast a tad. Lovely bird that is on my bucket list. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com