Thread: Golden-winged Skimmer in Grass

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Golden-winged Skimmer in Grass

This is from my first day trying to capture dragonflies in my backyard (I've been doing mostly birds up to now). Great fun!

Canon 1DX, 500mm f/4 IS II + 2x III, Manual mode, ISO 400, 1/250, f/20, flash with better beamer. Camera was on a tripod. I needed the flash to get the subject clear as there was wind moving the grass around. Used Nik tools to process the image (Dfine, Viveza, ColorFX (detail extractor, pro contrast)).

I think the identification is right but I'm totally new to the insect world!

Name:  C87U0860-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  316.6 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Erik - and welcome to the Macro forum! That's a pretty hefty "macro" lens you're using. I like the slight diagonal of the comp and the lighting from the flash worked out well. The abdomen and wings appear sharp, but the head is a little softer - you might try a little more selective sharpening there. I would suggest selectively darkening the perch a little - should be easy with Viveza. You might also consider cloning the diagonal piece of grass in the LLC - if you are OK with that. This is a very nice image and a few minor tweaks could make it even better. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work here in Macro!

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve,

Thanks for the comments! Yeah the lense is a little big for this type of work. Going to try my 100-400 with the 1.4x and see how that goes. I agree I should darken the perch but I'm not sure my photoshop cloning skills are up to taking out the blade in the LLC. Maybe I'll try that. I'll see if I can get sharpening on the head... maybe with Color FX?

I'm off tomorrow for a week in Maine so not sure when I'll get back to this. Hope to get some good Puffin shots up there! :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image.

Regards,
    Satish.