Thread: American Oystercatchers mating

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American Oystercatchers mating

Attached Images Attached Images

I previously posted another frame from this series (a few months back). This shot is when the actual mating began and not just the jumping on the females back and getting ready. From Breezy Point in Queens, New York. I was very fortunate to have the action happen at a nice sun angle and shortly before sunset.

Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4xiii. ISO 400, F8, SS 1/2000. Tripod mounted with legs fully extended while I was laying in the wet sand. 4 focus points covering the body of both birds.

Converted in DPP 4. Auto White Balance. Highlight and shadow adjustments and lowered the saturation of the reds. In PS I cropped a tiny bit, leveled, applied noise reduction to background. Also used NIK to do a tonal contrast and white neutralizer adjustment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice low angle shot, good job. My only nit is the reds still look to be a bit hot IMO.

-Tim

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

agree with reds but excellent capture

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is another one with the reds toned down even more. Amazing how much work they need. This is the 3rd time I lowered the saturation on them. Once in DPP, once in PS and then selected just the bills and lowered the saturation and luminance again in this one. I guess the tonal contrast brings out the reds a bit to counteract what I did.
    Name:  Oystermating-3-for-web-2.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  323.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

HI Isaac,
    Third times a charm for me, i like the reds in this repost, they don't scream so loudly as the OP. wonderful work, processing and catching this behavior, well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image is stunningly beautiful. You are taking the wrong approach with the red-oranges... Simply go back to the first one and then, in Selective Color, try adding 60-90 points of CYAN to the REDs. You will be amazed.

You could not have posed them any better. I love the two head angles.

What sort of puzzles me is that the blacks look so enamel-like, i.e., without detail...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Any beach clean-up?

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the info about the reds. Will try that for sure. I did apply a small amount of noise reduction to this image so perhaps that took some of the details away from the blacks. But even in the RAW file the angle the birds are at seemed to darken most of the blacks. I think if they were turned slightly more towards us there would not be that much dark black there. I checked before and after the noise reduction and it was hardly any difference in the blacks but perhaps I did too much? Also tried a version using Detail Extractor but did not like the results. Open to suggestions of course.

I did a tiny amount of beach clean up. There were a few small black spots on the right side along the water line and a few circular spots in the sand on the bottom. But then I cropped those out so you can not see what I did there. Also there was a Sanderling all the way on the left edge of the frame that I got rid of. It was very small and was well in front of where the mating was taking place.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

For the BLACKs perhaps 25% Detail Extractor plus 25% Tonal Contrast on the same layer then reduced to taste. I save that as a recipe that I title 25/25.

Thanks for the clean-up info.

a

ps: all the Photoshop stuff I mentioned plus tons more in detailed in my Digital Basics File.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have that saved as a recipe. The 50/50 as well. Plus a few others. I always try and find the cleanest spot at the beach to set up so I need to do as little clean up as possible. Makes a big difference.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac you have captured this action shot perfectly though I must agree the reds do look a tad overpowering to me.

Keith.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I have that saved as a recipe. The 50/50 as well. Plus a few others. I always try and find the cleanest spot at the beach to set up so I need to do as little clean up as possible. Makes a big difference.
    Good. Me too on the clean places...

a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous behavior shot. Well exposed and composed. I know how those red bills can sing in the late sunlight, so your most recent repost works nicely for me. Very well done!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost is superb. Terrific display and image IQ.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice Issac all points covered already. I want to add that the interaction takes this frame to the top. well done
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Boy did everything come together for you nicely with this frame. The behavior you have captured with the head angles, light and BG right, plus the male's outstretched wings just take this one straight to the top!!! Wish it were mine.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular Issac, all been said but I'd like to add this image has inspired me to keep a close eye on a local pair of Aussie Pied Oystercatchers, they should be getting frisky any day now.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent image.

Regards,
    Satish.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satish Ranadive View Post
    Excellent image.

Regards,
    Satish.
    Satish. Please let us know why you like an image so that we can avoid becoming another "Great Shot" Forum.

a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot. I like the wing position and great colors. Its amazing how you captured the moment. thank you for sharing it