Thread: The Butcher's Back

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The Butcher's Back

Attached Images Attached Images

The Pied Butcher bird. This particular one has been gracing my garden for over nine years. I think that would be a fair age for a bird like this. He has very distinguishing marks on his head (not visible here) most likely from an old injury.

Basic adjustments in ACR - highlights to the left, shadows to the right. in PS - BG toned down of specular highlights and desturated. NR on BG. Cropped and smart sharpened for posting.

Canon 5D2
    Sigma 150-600 @ 270mm
    f7.1 @1/1000 sec
    ISO 1000
    Hand Held

C&C Always welcomed and appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Glennie, i like this, terrific job on the exposure with details throughout and the pose is so pleasing. Terrific BG, a very nice image, good work my friend!

3. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice to have an old friend revisiting your yard for so long! Good looking individual with a good look-back pose. I like the subdued colours of the background. Although the comp is OK I feel that pointing your lens up a bit more would have strengthened it by having the subject a bit lower in the frame. Is one of the BG areas that you worked on around the bill?

5. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First off, how awesome to have the same individual come back for nine years in a row. I have had the same Kestrel come back to the same spot three years in a row, and hoping for four, so I know how cool and rare it actually is. Secondly, I think the shot looks great. Nice pose, details, exposure, sun angle, BG and perch! Did I miss anything? Oh Ya, the comp is perfect too. Very nicely done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

7. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, Thank you. And yes. This was an area that I worked on and I know exactly what you are looking at. The colour variation is natural and an unusual shape. These birds also have long, fine whiskers. In his open beak you can see two fine, black lines. These are his whiskers from the other side of his face. I was of two minds whether to take them out or leave them in. Any advice as what to do?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Glennie. Lovely looking image with nice control of the blacks. I like the look back pose, details and the BG fits nicely. Love the comp.

Will

10. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the BKGR, the SH, and that wicked bill. And the great job with the EXP. Just a bit less head turn and it would have been perfect. But still pretty darned excellent.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.