Thread: Indigo Bunting closeup

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Indigo Bunting closeup

Attached Images Attached Images

I have posted a few shots of this Indigo Bunting already. Like with the Bluebirds I went back on a few separate days and photographed the Buntings as well. For this shot the bird came so close that I really was not ready for it. Ideally it would have been better with a higher fstop. It flew to a perch so close that I could barely focus on it, sang one song and left. Was only able to get an 11 shot burst of it before it took off. The stick it perched on was very small and was bending back and it didn't seem like it liked it all that much. Taken very early in the morning in direct sunlight. You can see that at such a close range the depth of field was so thin that the undertail is blurred, as is the right edge of the bird as it was farther from the focus point. From at Negri-Nepote Grasslands in New Jersey.

Canon 7d2 and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 500, SS 1/1250, F 7.1. Tripod mounted.

Converted in DPP 4. Auto White balance. Aqua and Blue luminance both at -1. Exposure -.17, highlights -3. Single focus point, just below the eye. In PS I applied noise reduction to background (also lowered the contrast using Viveza to -5), sharpened and cropped just a tiny bit. As with my other shot, I followed Arthur's advice and lowered the Cyan -25, the blue -10 and the yellow -5. Also did my standard highlight and shadow adjustment. Amazing how many steps it takes to tone down the blues on this bird.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 07-29-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

what a beautiful bird this is , i love this blue colour.....

Regds.
    Ritesh

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely color. Well taken

Tom

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Isaac, I admire your persistence and your obvious passion for the birds.

I have never seen a bunting, so not able to comment on the colours, but they look good. It's amazing how hard (for me) blues are. Green BG is lovely. I like the singing pose.