Thread: Pied-Billed Grebe

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Pied-Billed Grebe

Attached Images Attached Images

I've been looking to get a decent shot of these guys for a while. Basic levels adjustments in Lightroom, and I used Photoshop to soften the background and sharpen the bird.

Canon 7dII
    500mm II f4 @ f5
    ISO 800
    1\800
    handheld

I still don't think I'm doing a good job with sharpening after resizing to 1200. The original is tack sharp, but this version doesn't seem to reflect it well. What sharpening tool should I use in Photoshop? Sharpen AFTER resizing, right?

Simon

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Simon,
    I like your image very much, it looks sharp, well exposed and i like how the BG melts into the water, same color, different texture. Not sure myself about the steps and I'm still trying to figure it out... I'll be glad to hear what others recommend.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Simon, This is far more than a decent image. And it looks nicely sharpened to me. The background is pure BIRDS AS ART :) Love the head angle and position, the slightly raised wings, and the perfect exposure.

I sharpen my 1200 wide JPEGs with Unsharp Mask at from 110-150, .3, 0. And, to save time, I always sharpen the whole image rather than just the bird (which is more technically correct).

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Art. This is very helpful.

Simon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The background and the low angle works here well. Overall a brilliant image Simon, well done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks sharp to me! Wonderful image with perfect low angle position love the soft green BG

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simon, great little bird. He looks perfectly sharp to me. Love the dreamy green BG and low POV.

After I resize the image, I usually selectively "Smart Sharpen" as needed with lens blur ticked. Then save it to the web. Should I be making the jpeg, then sharpening and saving for the web? Interesting.