Thread: High-key Cedar Waxwing.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default High-key Cedar Waxwing.

Attached Images Attached Images

A chance encounter as I spotted this Cedar Waxwing posing on a longer branch while driving along a country road. It gave me time to stop, lower my window and stick out the lens, back up into position, and grab a few frames before it went back down inside the dense bush. It was a bit large in the frame I added some canvas above and left in post to loosen the original vertical composition - nice to have an easy all-white BG to work with!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, natural light, handheld, a couple of leaves cloned out from the right edge, deepened the blacks (the raw file was washed out for this high-key image, as it should when ETTR), darkened the pupil. Oh, and no need for NR to the BG.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image and bird. Nice problem to have: subject too big in the frame. Love the perch and the bird's position on it.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

An attractive image Daniel. Excellent head and body position. love the soft colors on the belly.
    Robert Kimbrell

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Dan. I especially like the composition with the diagonal branch. A beautiful, delicate image. The high key look has worked a treat. The soft yellow belly compliments the new leaves at the end of the branch.

Serendipidious fate! How wonderful!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

A beauty, and the ultra high key effect works well with the naturally soft feel of the waxwing.

I couldn't resist trying a variation on this, to give the bird just a bit more definition against the sky. I found that a multiply blend layer set at around 15-20% gave a little more definition to the bird and foliage against the white sky. Purely personal taste.

Well seen and captured. I have had no luck with our occ. waxwings. Always deep in the woods.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Dan well constructed. I like as it is but Randy's suggestion is rather effective too.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Daniel this is a calendar shot for sure, the high key sets off this striking bird.