Thread: Green Spaghetti

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Green Spaghetti

Attached Images Attached Images

Another Black swan and cygnet. I haven't been able to calm the ripples but believe there is a little interaction between adult and baby...with a tiny bit of separation between them.

Basic ACR adjustments. In PS; cloned out "headless" sibling and some distracting reflections.

Canon 5D2
    Sigma 150-600@420mm
    f9 @ 1/800 sec
    ISO 800
    Hand Held

C&C Welcomed and appreciated!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glennie:

Very interesting interaction. Always amazing that the short little neck of the cygnet will turn into the long one of the adult.

I find group shots such of this are always a DOF challenge. The chick looks like the focal point, with the adults head not as sharp. The adults body is somewhat sharper than the head, so perhaps some motion blur in there as well.

I might try a bit more selective sharpening on the adults head/neck area.

Very cute.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the interaction here Glennie and the head turn is nice. Agreed with Randy's observation on DOF and sharpness. I have to comment on the green streak to the right (from our perspective) of the cygnet. It just looks a little weird to me... but I might be totally wrong on that one.

5. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

this one has much better pose than the other.

Too bad the head is soft. Critical focus was on the body, the red channel is blown on the beak and the blacks also have a cyan/blue color cast

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

7. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice birds and juxtaposition. Was the headless chick to our left in front of the adult? And yes, sharpest focus here was on the chick. Try selecting the bill, going to Selective Color, and then adding 70-90 points of CYAN to the REDs. This should tone down the bill nicely. Lastly, some Eye Doctor work on the eye of the adult would likely do wonders...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

9. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another sweet pose between adult and chick. I particularly like the downward head turn of the youngster. Yes, a touch of selective sharpening on the head might help, and the red of the bill already noted.

11. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good interaction, and that greenery in the mouth is pretty darn cool! Good suggestions already. Did you lighten the neck's shadow on the adult's body?

13. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all. I'll try the suggestions, but if I missed the focus, probably not much point.

I had a look in DPP and the focus actually fell on the cygnet that I cloned out. I can see I am up for a lot of practice to get those blacks right.

Yes Dan, I did try to lighten the neck. I can see it has a nice blue cast on it now.

Artie, headless chick was on the RHS and a bit behind of the chick who stayed. Adhika pointed out the green streak. More practice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glennie. Don't forget to try adding CYAN to the REDs. It is magic.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

16. Thanks Glennie Passier thanked for this post