Thread: Little owl

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owl

Attached Images Attached Images

Just wanted to add this to this months Theme Stu.

This year they have not breed and have been far more elusive, however they are still 'quartering' within in the area, occasionally passing & stopping by. This one had some debris embedded in the plumage in the rear, but I left it in. Not the most ideal BKG, but all natural, as the tall grasses have not yet be cut in the meadow. The pipe is an old rusty one from bygone days, and as per previous images, I do like the colour and texture of this weathered stuff, as I feel it's a nice contrast to the soft plumage of the subject. The LH end of the pipe is angled away I think, as the sharpness tails off.

Thanks to those who viewed or posted a comment on the previous thread.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua) in tall grass on rusty pipe
    Camera: Canon 1DX MK2
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII & 2x MKIII Gitzo/Uniqball head
    Exposure: 1/1000s at f/8 ISO1250 EV +0.33 (Certainly I feel the EV is greater than on the MK1 or previous bodies)
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF on width
    Processed via: LRCC (2015) & PSCC 2015

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That rusty piece of debris looks like a flakey bit as fallen off the handle in the ground in to something that bird could have sat on ,thus picking it up when it jumped back on the handle.
    I love getting little owls on rusty bits ,i had a spell were if i found anything rusty i would try and get the bird on it ,all be it not a natural perch but they will land on anything,shame they have not bred ,as they are in decline..as you say long grass at this time of the year is a pain but natural...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, glad you could find an image to add to the theme, and a fine subject too. Great eye contact, and love the soft light in this. You have brought out the plumage nicely, and what a great view of the feet and talons. I quite like the rusty perch, reminds me of your old milk can/urn you posted a while back. Well placed in the frame, and the BG is natural as shot. Well captured mate.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely Steve. Beautiful details on the bird...and what a cracker of a bird he is. I rather like the BG and his rusty perch. Would you not consider removing the debris from his tail end?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love this one Steve. The detail is looking real good. BG colours blend well and the perch is different, which I like

TFS

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like everything especially the superfine details of the plumage.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

No nits from me Steve this looks spot on,lovely nice natural feather detail.

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks.

Would you not consider removing the debris from his tail end?
    Glennie, I could do with ease, but decided to leave it in, as it stay with this little owl for over a day and a half, it was just a bit of vegetation and would often blow in the breeze .

Jon, subject to weather, I might head over to Bempton Thurs/Fri W/C 1/7/16 if you were around, but also subject to canon returning some gear too????