Thread: Water Painterly

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Water Painterly

Greetings. I don't know what conditions allow for grasses to grow in rivers but my recollection is seeing them only in rain forests and in Yellowstone. This photo is from Yellowstone from a bridge. A little motion blur at 1/50th and the water distortion provide the painterly look. Just toning, detailing and noise reduction applied.

Name:  _DSC8390-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  366.7 KB

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, Michael,
    I love the sense of motion in the grasses - they do look very painterly. The brown part of the image in the upper left could be a turtle In the spring-fed rivers in Florida there are grasses and that's what this reminds me of because the water is so clear you can see to the bottom.
    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly" - The Little Prince

http://tuscawillaphotographycherylslechta.zenfolio.com/

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Michael, I was surprised to learn the painterly effect was not achieved via post processing. I like the vibrant yellow/green and blue color combo and the diagonal line of the grass/water interface. I'm not keen on Cheryl's turtle. For me the most compelling portion of the image is on the right. To my eye, a vertical of this area enhances the impression of flowing water. Were you on Fishing Bridge?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both versions, but have to admit that Gary's cropped version has more punch. I do like the upper left corner of OP--maybe another cropped image from that side?
    The colors are fantastic--electric green against the deep blue. Love the grasses--they seem alive!

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheryl, Gary, Anita,

Thanks much for your comments (sorry for being so late getting back to this). Gary, I like the crop idea, but miss some of the features left out. I took this on a bridge over Firehole River, which is the river that runs through the Upper Geyser Basin which includes Old Faithful. The river at Fishing Bridge is much larger and has no grasses in the water there that I recall (some on the bank, though). Didn't see much at Fishing Bridge this visit but last visit (in 2011) we saw river otter, beaver, bison, bald eagles, osprey and Swainson hawks.

Cheers,

-Michael-