Thread: Chocolate-headed Seabirds...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Chocolate-headed Seabirds...

Attached Images Attached Images

Common Murres courting

This image was created on June 28, DAY 1 of the 2016 UK Puffins and Gannets IPT. I used the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III, and the mega mega-pixel Canon EOS 5DS R.. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2 stops off the grey sky (or the gray sky in the UK): 1/1600 sec. at f/7.1. AWB.

I selected the AF point that was two up and one to the left of the center AF point/AI Servo Expand/Rear Focus AF as originally framed. It fell on the edge of the left side of the upper breast of the front bird, just below the neck and right on the same plane as the eye of the rear bird–just as I planned it. AF was of course active at the moment of exposure (as is always best when the subject is moving). Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial.

LensAlign/FocusTune micro-adjustment: +5.

As for the image, all comments are welcome. I'd love to hear what you think of the framing/crop. You can see the original and the converted TIFF in the Amazingly Educational Post... Honest! http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/...l-post-honest/blog post here.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

+2 stops off the grey sky (or the gray sky in the UK)
    Artie, why do you think we never shoot with a grey (gray) card in the UK, the sky is the perfect backdrop for a 50/50/50 balance , mind you that card has gone out with the ark.

I like the interaction and the open beak & raise front foot, the OOF wings have an almost 'human' appearance, arms which are just about to envelop his partner (???) as she veers away from his advances. The neutral rock provides an excellent perch and not distracting because of it's neutrality. Obviously the large file size of the 5DS R has captured some excellent depth and detail.

Just my take, but I feel the chocolate brown could be a tad darker, not so warm, likewise the inside mouth a tad less rich, but just personal preference and no deal breaker. Will now take a look now at the original, as I felt it would cloud my judgement if I viewed it prior.

FYI I will pop the 2017 dates in the diary as I may swing by as it's only a few hours drive if I'm up north around that time, will let you know as it would be good to meet you and Peter. Ironic you and I both retired at the same 'tender' age too, based on your article . Have never looked back.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, just viewed the thread, albeit an animated Giff, I think I prefer the RAW file colours, more to what I would interpret them to be, but lets see what others say.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Artie, just viewed the thread, albeit an animated Giff, I think I prefer the RAW file colours, more to what I would interpret them to be, but lets see what others say.
    Disagree but I wish that I had dialed back a bit on the underwings. In the RAW the heads are pretty much BLACK.

As for retirement, I have been working 14+ hours a day since I retired from teaching in 1992 at age 46--and loving every minute of it.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Disagree but I wish that I had dialed back a bit on the underwings. In the RAW the heads are pretty much BLACK.
    Viewing the RAW is the only way to judge the colour and accept that Artie, the Giff just looked/appeared a darker brown.

I have been working 14+ hours a day since I retired from teaching in 1992 at age 46--and loving every minute of it.
    Because you enjoy it Artie and have a passion for what you do.

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the conversion, and I can see why you are so favourably disposed toward the 5DSR.
    DPP4 gives a completely different interpretation of the raw file compared to ACR, I have been torturing myself again with ACR and DPP conversions and getting my screen re-calibrated. The colours are quite simply different, even the exposure is read differently and in the end it boils down to personal choice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really good capture, this two birds embrace themselfes.
    the conditions in good old britian are often the same as we have them in north germany. :)
    even like now.. grey clouds over my head and my coffee in the morning.
    after reading your link, i know what you mean with Rear Focus Tutorial.

and you are right... the result is good and the scene is lovely

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I like the conversion, and I can see why you are so favourably disposed toward the 5DSR.
    DPP4 gives a completely different interpretation of the raw file compared to ACR, I have been torturing myself again with ACR and DPP conversions and getting my screen re-calibrated. The colours are quite simply different, even the exposure is read differently and in the end it boils down to personal choice.
    For me that personal choice is a no-brainer :)

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love photographing these birds, and I discovered the amount of light on the head area, can change the colour immensely. I like the chocolate colours here. Beautiful details especially around the head area. I love the interaction, and I think it would also look good with no raised wings showing.

Will

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the texture of the birds plumage that you have captured with such fine detail. Well done Artie, the raised foot adds to the emotion

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post