Thread: My home

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My home

This is were the Little owl spends most of his time,especialy between May and September.
    I dont own a full frame camera or a wide angled lens ,however i do know a trick that will let me use the 10-22mm at 12mm (on the 1d mkiv)but i have loaned that lens out so i tried with a old walkabout lens ,the canon 28-135mm 3.5 /5.6 .
    This is more or less a set up shot as my aim to achieve some wide angled backlit shots ,all PP as been done in lightroom
    canon 1d mkiv 28-135mm 3.5 5.6 at F8 28mm iso 800 1/1600 sec tripod mounted remote shutter release
    Name:  Little-owl-July-8th-2016-(1-of-1).jpg
Views: 122
Size:  269.0 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good to see the owl with its craggy environment as a back drop Den, nice pose looking down the lens.
    I might try a little bit of a crop off the top, so only showing the two trees to the right, but that's just me.

Graham

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the concept. EXP and sharpness on the subject look good. Taking one big step to your left would have better positioned the subject by moving it away from the dark shadow. To my eye the background Bokeh looks quite strange, jangly strange. I'd love to hear what others are seeing.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I like the concept. EXP and sharpness on the subject look good. Taking one big step to your left would have better positioned the subject by moving it away from the dark shadow. To my eye the background Bokeh looks quite strange, jangly strange. I'd love to hear what others are seeing.
    Hi thanks for taking time to view,i postioned lens and tripod ,and once set it was down to taking my chance when the bird landed as i was using a remote and it did take a few hours after i set up before he landed ,as for the background ,it could just be the lens(quality) ,to be honest it was second hand and cost me under £100 .
    i will still be looking for the backlit shots but will do some experimenting when i get the oportunity

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice to see this bird in its 'natural' environment. I do wish the bird and perch were a little less centered. I can see why you chose this composition, the BG provides some nice leading lines through the image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dennis greenwood View Post
    Hi thanks for taking time to view,i postioned lens and tripod ,and once set it was down to taking my chance when the bird landed as i was using a remote and it did take a few hours after i set up before he landed ,as for the background ,it could just be the lens(quality) ,to be honest it was second hand and cost me under £100 .
    i will still be looking for the backlit shots but will do some experimenting when i get the opportunity
    Thanks for the added info. I am surprised that nobody else is concerned about the background Bokeh. If you try it again try stopping down to f/11 or so.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the idea very much, I too was a little troubled with the quality of the background, Artie would know better than me but I wondered if 5.6 might have made the background softer. (Maybe my logic is back to front?)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Den
    I have come back to this a lot of times. I can see what you were after and I,ve done the same myself many times. It looks OK to me although a litle different- but isn't that what we are all striving for ??
    Maybe not. Are the problems referring to a too wide an angle or what ?I love the wall and the Polypody fern in the wall(sorry -rock face)
    John
    Last edited by John Robinson; 07-10-2016 at 07:18 AM.