Thread: Suggested lens for Tanzania tangerine, and northern migration

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Suggested lens for Tanzania tangerine, and northern migration

Good evening, thought i'd check in and sample the advise of veteran safaris. Here's my current line up for bodies:
    Canon 1dx 1dx2 and 5 dmk3 7dmkII 600mm F4 II 200-400mm F4 100-400mmII, 24-105mm, along with extenders... i do own 70-200mm f 2.8 , 300 f2.8 II
    My current plan is Canon 1dx 1dx2 and 5 dmk3 600mm F4 II 200-400mm F4 100-400mmII, 24-105mm, also i own the 24-70II f 2.8
    Curious what you would do, as in the nat parks, it's not possible to off road, where in northern tanzania along the river i can..
    Thks & Good Shooting
    Don

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I didn't respond quickly because I haven't been, but I do shoot a lot of wildlife in Colorado. If I had to narrow it down to one lens/body combination, it'd be the 100-400 II and the 7D MkII. I'd have my EF 1.4x TC-III in a vest pocket, in case needed.

You may need to be concerned about weight on flights, particularly as you near your destination and are forced on small planes. I've read of issues in that regard, so I think that you should research that.

For the second body/lens combo, I'd have the 5D3/24-105mm.

I own the 500/f4 II and would hate to leave home without it, but I'd be concerned with atmospheric interference in the situations where you'd use it. Hopefully, someone that's actually been can attest to the usefulness of the longer lenses in that environment.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Don - With that line up of lenses and bodies I would sub the 70-200 for the 100-400. There's no reason to take the 200-400 and the 100-400, plus the 70-200 will be good in low light situations or when off-roading. I would also probably take the 24-70 instead of the 24-105 for the same reason. You then have all focal lengths pretty much covered from 24 up to 600mm. I would also stick with your choice of camera bodies.

However, as David said weight can be an issue and my suggestions presume that you do not have that issue or have the ability to pay to bring more weight.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Don, is it a Private vehicle or a shared one? Even if it's a Private vehicle do you really want a lot of kit sloshing about, two bodies are good, three is a luxury, but then you may get caught in a quandary - what kit do I shoot with??? If weight is not an issue, personally I would take the 200-400 and drop the 100-400, it's quicker and you have the added advantage of the extender too.

I've just come back from 2 weeks in Botswana, the 500 with the 1DXMK1 was great with the 1.4, the 200-400 with the 1DX MK2, 70-200f/2.8 & 16-35f2.8 in the foot well, extenders in the glove box. It worked perfectly as we could off road anywhere, but as you say, you cannot, so having the reach maybe beneficial.

Out all day hand holding big kit is a good workout, so give that some thought too. Don't forget chargers, as I doubt the 1DX is the same as the 5DMKIII, laptop & ext drives to mirror all back-ups. Triple plugs to multi charge, rocket blower & cleaning fluid to clean lens, several cleaning cloths & always keep one on you!

The only route in Bots is by small aircraft, forget driving, therefore I tend to book an extra seat for the camera gear, in that way the plane weight is not an issue.