Thread: Atlantic Puffin Preening

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Atlantic Puffin Preening

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the last afternoon of the 2016 UK Puffins and Gannets IPT. I used the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and the mega mega-pixel Canon EOS 5DS R. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/1250 sec. at f/11 in Av mode. AWB.

Center AF point (by necessity)/AI Servo Expand/Shutter Button AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure. The active AF point was on the left edge (as we view the image) of the feather being preened. This was a small crop from the left and from above.

LensAlign FocusTune micro-adjustment: -5. Tutorial coming soon.

As for the image, don't be shy: all honest comments are welcome.

Self critique: I wish that I had pointed the lens down one inch...

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I cannot find fault, the image is sharp well exposed super detailed in all areas, the perch and background are also excellent.
    The only thing I could think of to improve it would be if the bill were more visible.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful bird, nicely shown. Very nice colors and detail, the rock perch and background work well together. You write that the active focus point was on the left side of the feather being preened, would that be where the white and black meet? Thank you for sharing, Artie.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Beautiful bird, nicely shown. Very nice colors and detail, the rock perch and background work well together. You write that the active focus point was on the left side of the feather being preened, would that be where the white and black meet? Thank you for sharing, Artie.
    Thanks Joe. Not exactly. On the left side of the top of that feather opposite the round orange tubercle (?) at the base of the bill. In keeping with the use of extra depth of field beyond the plane of focus. Learn more in the "Old Dog Re-learns a Long Lens Depth-of-Field Trick" blog post here.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I, of course, couldn't find anything to criticize about this image, though I spent 10 min. trying, so I thought "Well, maybe you learned something from it that is worth mentioning". +1/3 stop is a good lesson because when I thought about along these lines I realized that I probably w/h gone at least 2/3 to pick up the blacks. But the biggest revelation, for me anyway, lies in the composition. The multiplicity of robust curves of similar magnitude ( the head, the breast, the eye crease, the bulge of black feathers at the back, the white/black transition at the top of the head, the little bulge of white feathers below the tail, the rock, and the crack in the rock ) all flow around each other to create an overall impact of rounded togetherness. I don't know if that influenced, consciously or subconsciously, your decision to record this bird Arthur or if you shot the image because you liked the look in the bird's eye, but it is , I think, there subliminally tying it all together.
    Last edited by Bob Smith; 07-06-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the preening pose, and the oranges really stand out against the beautiful green BG. Awesome perch - I do agree with your self critique as we'd have seen more of it!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I cannot find fault, the image is sharp well exposed super detailed in all areas, the perch and background are also excellent.
    The only thing I could think of to improve it would be if the bill were more visible.
    Thanks JA. If the bill were more visible it would detract from the somewhat coy mood of the image...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
    I, of course, couldn't find anything to criticize about this image, though I spent 10 min. trying, so I thought "Well, maybe you learned something from it that is worth mentioning". +1/3 stop is a good lesson because when I thought about along these lines I realized that I probably w/h gone at least 2/3 to pick up the blacks. But the biggest revelation, for me anyway, lies in the composition. The multiplicity of robust curves of similar magnitude ( the head, the breast, the eye crease, the bulge of black feathers at the back, the white/black transition at the top of the head, the little bulge of white feathers below the tail, the rock, and the crack in the rock ) all flow around each other to create an overall impact of rounded togetherness. I don't know if that influenced, consciously or subconsciously, your decision to record this bird Arthur or if you shot the image because you liked the look in the bird's eye, but it is , I think, there subliminally tying it all together.
    With +2/3 there would be a danger of toasting the WHITEs. I love the curves that you mention but the truth as it often is is that I was drawn to the green background well behind the bird. As it preened, I created about a dozen images. This one had the neatest combination of bill visibility and a good look at the eye. In any case, many thanks.

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I really like the preening pose, and the oranges really stand out against the beautiful green BG. Awesome perch - I do agree with your self critique as we'd have seen more of it!
    Thanks Dan,

The worst part is that I had about a dozen images in the series and did not check them for even a bit more room below before deleting...

a
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 07-06-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the preening pose Artie, excellent details in both black and whites, I like the weathered perch too.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

12. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

fantastically beautiful ...... What an catch with great exposer of this preening image .....

Love the over all details here....

TFS...

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is deluxe!! Love the preening pose, even though we don't see all of the trademark colorful beak, it still looks great and the HA is killer with a sweet catchlight and clear eye details. The perch, BG and exposure control look fantastic and I love the overall scene. One of the better frames you have posted in a while. Keep em coming.
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

16. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, One of my favorite species that I hope to see one day in Person.
    Nice and sharp, great eye catch, colors and BG, a winner, and the preening pose is a nice behavioral addition.

-Tim

18. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Arthur,welcome to blighty,beautiful image,good exposure,love the BG,the bird is sharp with excellent details and nice perch.TFS.

20. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Tim,

Considering joining me in 2017. Details and BPN discount info here.

a