Thread: CFast 2.0 Memory Cards for the 1DX II

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default CFast 2.0 Memory Cards for the 1DX II

Because of the problems recently reported about the SanDisk cards on the 1DX II, I have searched for other brands. Lexar makes a card that it claims is as fast as the SanDisk. Pricing by amazon.com is about the same for both manufacturers, but amazon.com lists third parties selling the SanDisk card for about $100 less.

Any ideas on this? Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd be wary of counterfeit or black market cards if the price is low.

The corruption is only on the last frame or two if shot immediately before shutdown. That's easy to avoid -- shoot a couple of extras or wait a few seconds before shutdown. And a firmware fix is on the way. Meantime, your old CF cards work just fine if you don't need a huge buffer.

http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-1d-x-...k-cfast-cards/

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Diane. I'm appreciative of the level of expertise on this forum and its accessibility. There are three manufacturers of CFast 2.0 cards I've identified so far on amazon.com: Lexar, SanDisk, and Transcend. At 128GB: SanDisk, $395; Lexar, $345; and Transcend, $277.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

But who is selling them? Amazon is a pipeline for a lot of small sellers. Not as bad as e-bay but I'd be wary of a cheap price. I'd go for something like B&H, where I trust the source.

My camera came with one, and a reader, and I'm using it in the second slot as a backup. Good insurance. But mostly I just download from the CF card.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would definitely avoid shopping on Amazon and going for the cheapest price on camera memory. Go through a legitimate retailer like B&H, Hunt's, Adorama, etc. Too many counterfeit cards out there!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lesson learned: Stay away from Amazon. Glad I bought my camera at B&H. B&H prices: SanDisk $370, Lexar $365, and Transcend $300. Canon spokespeople said that the problem with recording to the card is a SanDisk problem. Would you hesitate to use Lexar cards?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'll echo what Doug said. Do not buy memory cards from unauthorized dealers or you may get Chinese counterfeit. I'd only buy Sandisk or Lexar. Stay away from the white label brands.

Sandisk are working to solve the issues with their CFAST cards but you can probably opt for Lexar as well. I don't know of anyone who uses the Lexar CFAST card with the 1DX2 but they should work. There are some cards that are specifically tuned for certain video cameras, those are not compatible with the 1DX2. Make sure you read the description carefully before buying.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, all. I am grateful.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

To all of you who use the 1DX II: Your advice please...I am renting this camera for an upcoming Northern Gannet bird photography workshop in Canada. After some reading (this thread included) I am thinking that I might need to add a couple of Lexar 3500x 525MB/s CFast 2.0 cards and a CFast card reader to my rental order. How well will the camera perform with only UDMA 7 CF cards? I use Delkin 1000x for sports in my 7DMKII and just purchased a couple of Lexar 1066x cards.

I do not want to buy these items because I have no plans to purchase this camera.

Thanks!
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The UDMA 7 CF cards work fine with the camera but it will significantly reduce the buffer depth in continuous shooting.

Visit my blog

11. Thanks Julie Brown thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just did an interesting test. I just tried it with a 1000x UDMA 7 card, high speed burst. With only the CF card I got 120 shots before it hit the buffer limit. Adding the CFast card with writing to both allowed only 82 shots. When the buffer fills it basically stop firing for several seconds -- you get maybe 1-2 shots a second as it first starts to empty, and then it speeds up a little, but not much. Took about 10-11 seconds to empty the buffer. With only a CFast, writing is said to be so fast you'd probably never fill the buffer. (Filling your hard drive might be another issue...)

If the buffer limit is not a factor, having two cards is some good insurance.

Now I probably need to clean the oil off my sensor!
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 07-07-2016 at 01:58 PM.

13. Thanks Julie Brown thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Arash and Diane.

Now after reading the results of your test Diane (thanks for doing that), I am thinking that I might not really need the CFast card. An extra $65 for a 10 day rental + the card reader. 120 continuous shots with a CF card before the buffer fills seems pretty good. Would shooting a diving Northern Gannet require that many continuous shots anyway? I find that I rarely fill the buffer when shooting bursts with my 7D MKII.

Regarding oil on the sensor with the 1DX II-good to know! Did you find any after conducting your test?

I will assume that the camera will have been inspected and cleaned before being sent to me, but I will visit your website and read your tutorial.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Julie Brown; 07-06-2016 at 10:54 PM.
    My photoblog: juliebrown.aminus3.com

My galleries: julielbrown.smugmug.com

My WordPress blog: indybirdphotographer.com

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks”.

John Muir

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Julie my 1DX2 does about 80 RAW files when shooting at 14 fps using a UDMA7 CF card before it slows down (Canon spec says 73 RAW). that's about 5-6 seconds of shooting, is it enough? depends on your subject.

good luck with your trip

Visit my blog

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

My eyes are beginning to boggle, do we really need this technology, I have a 1DX and use Lexar CF cards rated at 800x I have never come close to filling the buffer in 2 years - maybe you have different opportunities in USA but I just cannot think how I would shoot so many images at one time. I suspect you will all shoot me down in flames for saying this but I genuinely cannot foresee myself filling the buffer ... I am shooting gannets shortly in flight from a boat maybe I will have to change my tune if I do I will admit it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, all. My 1DX II came with firmware 1.0.2 installed. So. No problems.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    My eyes are beginning to boggle, do we really need this technology, I have a 1DX and use Lexar CF cards rated at 800x I have never come close to filling the buffer in 2 years - maybe you have different opportunities in USA but I just cannot think how I would shoot so many images at one time. I suspect you will all shoot me down in flames for saying this but I genuinely cannot foresee myself filling the buffer ... I am shooting gannets shortly in flight from a boat maybe I will have to change my tune if I do I will admit it.

Hi Jon, not shooting you down in flames but I think it's very different when you start shooting action with multiple birds in a frame interacting, it's not the same as shooting one slow bird such as a gannet. If you want to shoot Gannets I agree even the 1DX is an overkill, a 5D3 with 6 fps should do just as well IMO. On the other hand, last month there were several occasions where even 14 fps was not fast enough falcons in flight...

And yes, from the pictures I often see in this from unfortunately UK doesn't seem to be the best place for shooting birds in general.Of course there must be some great opportunities here and there but no comparison to the USA or Canada where most of the forum members are from.
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 07-08-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Visit my blog

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arash, I take your point. Hopefully one day I will be go it to California and I look forward to having the dilemma.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, (without giving things away) I think you will fill your boots next year and you will realise just how easily you can fill a card when action hits, or when you get those ideal moments. You will be pleasantly surprised how things fill up, crank that dial to 12fps and bingo!

Seriously, depending on the size of cards you use, I would doubt you would fill two 32GB in a morning, however, in a working day and the right opportunities... you would not even notice the auto switching from one to another. Also you want fast cards for downloading & a good reader too. Me, I will always carry a spare 64GB just in case if I'm out all day and a spare reader whilst away too, just in case of a failure or a slight mishap.

I think Jon, those in California should come here, we could do an exchange, it would be a good litmus test with the challenging light.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

With my 1DXII I have used all the time Lexar Professional 1066x 128GB CompactFlash & Lexar Professional 3400x 510MB/s 256GB CFast cards. All is working fine since firmware 1.0.0. I did >15000 shots and many 4k video clips too. I got in the bundle 64GB CFast Sandisk card. Have not used it. In the meantime I installed firmware 1.0.2.

Cheers,
    Miro

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Miro, thank you. That's good to know.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I bought the Transcend Cfast 2.0 CFX650 with 128GB from amazon. The Price was (in Euro) 195,- . Now it`s 198,-
    The Card is fast and the 1DX Mark II does not have any write+speed problems. Made about 2000 Pics untill now with using this card.

For example the Price for the Sandisk Cfast Extreme Pro with 64GB and i mean the one, that is sent with the new 1DX II is here in germany Euro 232,- !
    Much more expensive in my eyes.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Eric, you wouldn't know about the card until you fill it a few times, with 2000 pictures you haven't even filled it once so it's too early to tell

Visit my blog