Thread: Kalahari gemsbok

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kalahari gemsbok

Attached Images Attached Images

A lone gemsbok sees out another beautiful sunset that is the Central Kalahari Game Reserve- Botswana.
    Almost F/F, bean bag from front pax seat, curves, levels, TK adj's in ACR & PS CC'15.

Camera Nikon D5
    Lens Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL VR
    ISO 560
    Focal Length 400.0 mm (400.0 mm in 35mm)
    Aperture f/5.6
    Exposure Time 0.002s (1/500)

Cheers
    Marc

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc - Beautiful and vivid sunset colors with just enough detail in the gemsbok. I am curious about your choice of placement in frame. I probably would have put it more to the left. Was there something to the right that you didn't want in frame? It still works this way, just curious.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great mood and exposure, glad you didn't try to overdo the detail in the Gemsbok here Marc.
    My question is the same as Rachel's?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

5. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc lovely overall mood with stunning sunset colors .
    I am fine with the crop as presented .
    Nice work , TFS Andreas

7. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate your comments Rachel, Morkel & Andreas, many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    I am curious about your choice of placement in frame. I probably would have put it more to the left. Was there something to the right that you didn't want in frame?

TFS,
    Rachel
    As this is almost F/F my framing was deliberate and my vision was what I interpreted his view to be, hence the open space on the LHS. All subjective of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    Great mood and exposure, glad you didn't try to overdo the detail in the Gemsbok here Marc.
    Yes, I didn't want to go into any exteme HDR realm, I think I have the detail about right.
    Last edited by Marc Mol; 06-30-2016 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc,think you have captured the mood beautifully and no need to show a lot of detail on the animal,sky sets it off beautifully,I'm fine with the crop.

Keith.

10. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc -- Lovely colours and framing ! The feel to the image is just making it so very good . VEry nicely done .

TFS !

12. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Marc,this is beautifully crafted i love the atmosphere you have captured. there is a warmth to it I don't know!! Really appreciate the dialogue about detail represented in the gemsbok just fascinating.

Marc you use quite slow Ss ,you're using one of the best cameras out there, IQ/sensor probably in the realms of good as it gets. You have obviously chosen the f, and shutter kept down, which points to you going for a low iso for the highest IQ. Could you explain if i'm reading your thinking correctly and give me a bit more on you thought processes behind the techs please. buddy obviously you have a honed skillset and technique I'm curious as ever simply, I oft dream of sunsets and fallow .

take care wonderful to view thank you

Stu

14. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Appreciate thee comments Keith, Haseeb & Stuart.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Philpott View Post
    Hi Marc,this is beautifully crafted i love the atmosphere you have captured. there is a warmth to it I don't know!! Really appreciate the dialogue about detail represented in the gemsbok just fascinating.

Marc you use quite slow Ss ,you're using one of the best cameras out there, IQ/sensor probably in the realms of good as it gets. You have obviously chosen the f, and shutter kept down, which points to you going for a low iso for the highest IQ. Could you explain if i'm reading your thinking correctly and give me a bit more on you thought processes behind the techs please. buddy obviously you have a honed skillset and technique I'm curious as ever simply, I oft dream of sunsets and fallow .

take care wonderful to view thank you

Stu
    To me 1/500s is not really that low a s/s IMO for the given conditions Stuart,

I have VR engaged, we have a subject that remained fairly still, I'm sitting in the front pax seat of a vehicle with engine off, I have a windscreen that is down (and out of the way for unobstructed photography) flat across the hood, nicely supported & stable via my large Kinesis bean bag, my wife and guide were the only others in the vehicle and (generally ) sit still when we are either observing and/or photographing, plus I know what the D5 & 400 f/2.8 can deliver.
    Nothing too technical or out of the ordinary, If I'm able to get away with a slightly lower s/s than what others may consider border line, and keep my ISO lower then I'm happy with that.

It just depends what one is comfortable with to attain images they require.

In hindsight, yes I could have used 1/1000s @ ISO1600 and certainly I would have done so if the quality/sharpness wasn't there and/or if my subject was active.

I hope that helps.

16. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Mol View Post
    Appreciate thee comments Keith, Haseeb & Stuart.

To me 1/500s is not really that low a s/s IMO for the given conditions Stuart,

I have VR engaged, we have a subject that remained fairly still, I'm sitting in the front pax seat of a vehicle with engine off, I have a windscreen that is down (and out of the way for unobstructed photography) flat across the hood, nicely supported & stable via my large Kinesis bean bag, my wife and guide were the only others in the vehicle and (generally ) sit still when we are either observing and/or photographing, plus I know what the D5 & 400 f/2.8 can deliver.
    Nothing too technical or out of the ordinary, If I'm able to get away with a slightly lower s/s than what others may consider border line, and keep my ISO lower then I'm happy with that.

It just depends what one is comfortable with to attain images they require.

In hindsight, yes I could have used 1/1000s @ ISO1600 and certainly I would have done so if the quality/sharpness wasn't there and/or if my subject was active.

I hope that helps.
    Yes it does Marc,you have have so much more experience than i ,trying to get into your head space,as it were is sometimes very interesting to me. I like craftsmanship Marc,that's what I see in many pictures here. in any field I've always found deep interest in how folks make something . We are all different Marc so different choices come into play when crafting something. It's interesting digging into those occassionaly.

Many thanks Marc,again a wonderful atmospheric shot,thanks both for sharing and your thoughts

cheers

Stu

18. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post