Thread: Singing Indigo Bunting

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Singing Indigo Bunting

Attached Images Attached Images

This Indigo Bunting was photographed at Negri-Nepote Grasslands in New Jersey. It was perching atop of a small snag and singing as loud as it could.

Canon 7d2 and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. F6.3, ISO 640, SS 1/2000. Single focus point just below the eye. Auto ISO.

Converted in DPP 4. In PS I cropped as square, applied noise reduction to background and lowered the exposure and contrast to background as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice singing pose and I am fine with the SQ crop but the SAT hit me in the face. Decrease the BLUE SAT -15, the CYAN SAT -25, and the YELLOW SAT -5. I think that the repost looks great without the garishness of the OP.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Artie. I appreciate the critique and the repost as well. I took this photo early in the morning and the bird was glowing blue in the direct sun. Honestly had a hard time with the color which is why I posted this shot. While I agree that my shot is oversaturated, it is how the bird looked in the early morning direct sun. Those iridescent feathers have a certain shine to them that is not evident in the repost. Your post looks better but is not how the bird looked in reality. This is an issue I often struggle with. I take it that it is better to tone than to leave it as my eye saw it. Good lesson for me. . Thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Issac:

It is a challenge sometimes to balance your recollection of the scene, vs. what people expect to see. Plus, different monitors render the colors diff., even if both are calibrated. I often will process the image, put it aside for a day or two, and revisit it before posting. I freq. will make minor changes before actually posting it.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy makes a very good point, and I have had this issue myself photographing owls in sunset light. Both versions look pretty good to me although I find Artie's version probably a tad stronger even though I wasn't there. The colors are here are simply lovely and always happy to see a singing pose.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the pose, details, BG and subject balance. Like the both versions, great discussion! TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    Thanks Artie. I appreciate the critique and the repost as well. I took this photo early in the morning and the bird was glowing blue in the direct sun. Honestly had a hard time with the color which is why I posted this shot. While I agree that my shot is oversaturated, it is how the bird looked in the early morning direct sun. Those iridescent feathers have a certain shine to them that is not evident in the repost. Your post looks better but is not how the bird looked in reality. This is an issue I often struggle with. I take it that it is better to tone than to leave it as my eye saw it. Good lesson for me. . Thanks.
    Do understand that images made in richly colored light are often over-saturated as they come out of the camera. In the long run, you are the artist :)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes I understand. It's just a silly issue that I often go back and forth on. Probably lowered the saturation and then raised it again about 20 times. Ultimately decided to leave about the way I saw it but I do understand your point and will defer to your experience and expertise. Thanks again for the explanation.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I waited about a week to post this. Maybe more. Replied to Artie above that I kept going back and looking at it and both made sense in different ways to me. But this is an issue I need to learn more about. I do 99.99% of my shooting in direct early morning and late evening light. When shooting richly colored birds in this light this is an issue I am up against fairly often. So the information is greatly appreciated. I even looked at this shot on my phone as well trying to decide if it was too saturated prior to posting. I have more shots of this bird on plenty of perches. Will try and get the color more accurate on the next one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW. When I opened the original post I felt that I had been smacked in the face. I never want that to happen with my images :)

a