Thread: Common Tern Displaying in Early Morning Light

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Tern Displaying in Early Morning Light

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in mid-July at Nickerson Beach with the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 1.4X III, and the rugged Canon EOS-1D X. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops: 1/800 sec. at f/5.6 in Manual mode. AWB.

Automatic selection/AI Servo/Rear Focus AF as framed was active at the moment of exposure. The AF system selected a single point at the spot where the near wing attaches to the body–right on the same plane as the bird’s face and eye. Click here to see the latest version of the Rear Focus Tutorial. Click on the image to see a larger version.

As for the image, don't be shy: all honest comments are welcome.

a

ps: you can learn a ton by clicking http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/...-of-questions/http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/...-of-questions/and scrolling down.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, light to kill for and for 'US' across the pond, a nice low ISO too.

I really like the soft, muted warm colours of the habitat juxtapose to the more richer, bolder colours of the subject, a nice contrast. The shadow adds to the composition, but if it was me, then I would consider removing the grass across the sand/shadow because everything else is so clean and certainly an easy fix in PSCC. I was unsure about the grasses entering the frame on the RHS, but without it I think the image would appear to 'sterile'.

The horizontal line in the FG to me was a nice aid and with the 1DX MK2 easy to ensure things are level, I must admit that is a nice feature I personally like, but not required in BIF !!!

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, I addressed that piece of grass in the blog post :)

a

ps: easy to level with the in-viewfinder level as long as you are not so excited that you forget to look at it in the heat of the action...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb light indeed and a very pleasing image in terms of composition. For a moment there I too wondered about the grasses on the RHS but soon realised they add some nice depth to the frame.

Lovely detail, colours (love the bright reds), wonderful pose from the Tern.

I am so taken with that pink light and the gentle warmth it brings about...What lovely mood!

The more I look, the more I like it Artie

Have a wonderful day:)
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks for your kind words GP :)

a

6. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I addressed that piece of grass in the blog post
    No problem Artie, haven't seen the Blog for several days, time has been of a 'premium' at present, but nice to know our thoughts are in tune on this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie:

Good pose, soft light, excellent subject isolation. Agree about removing the grass across the shadow. The flow for my eyes through the image went from the bird, to the shadow, to the grasses on left, and only at end did I "see" the grasses on far right. I could go either way with them. There is enough depth for me in the image without them, but a matter of personal taste.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

9. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You probably already know I love the grasses b/c they help to frame your image, as does the vegetation behind the bird. The light here is sublime.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, lovely pink soft light. I was first wondering why the + 1 1/3 EV, but then realized that you must have exposed for the black and the soft light really helped in this case. I like the frame as is. The tree on the left and the grasses on the right helped frame the subject. I don't mind the grass across the shadow. I normally would lie a lower POV, but Had no idea what the BG would have been. TFS. Loi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very special light with a nice complimentary shadow accenting the time of day. Like the grasses

14. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loi Nguyen View Post
    Hi Artie, lovely pink soft light. I was first wondering why the + 1 1/3 EV, but then realized that you must have exposed for the black and the soft light really helped in this case. I like the frame as is. The tree on the left and the grasses on the right helped frame the subject. I don't mind the grass across the shadow. I normally would lie a lower POV, but Had no idea what the BG would have been. TFS. Loi
    Thanks Loi. Getting on the ground would have created a merge of the bird with the beach vegetation (no trees on the beach!)

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's why I get up early, the killer light. It makes all the difference! Love the pose and the shadow and the framing of the reeds. Well done Artie
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com