Thread: Sunrise, or Sunset?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sunrise, or Sunset?

Glennie and Adhika have been inspiring me to look for landscape picture opportunities, and what is better than an early sunrise -- or was it a late sunset?

Name:  untitled-31.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  119.2 KB

Original

Name:  untitled-30.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  110.1 KB

Sony a77ii, Tamron 150-600, 500mm, f6.3 at 1/2000, ISO 1250 (hand-held)

So I was not really looking for this, it just happened and I took the shot. Otherwise I would have been a bit more serious with a completely different lens, set up on a tripod, long exposure, low ISO. I still think the shot came out ok after a little post-processing.

In LR CC: Slight crop on left side. Dropped Exposure 1.19, Highlights -19, Shadows -40, Whites -60, Blacks +5 All this to darken the background but not the clouds. Also Clarity +19 and Vibrance +31 to add punch top the sun. Also Lowered Yellow in Hue -4.

This was more of what I actually saw than the original -- the colors this morning (or was it evening?) were exceptional for just a few minutes .....

Hoping I didn't "overcook" this in post-processing; appreciate your C&C .....

AP

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Clouds are the most amazing things. And when they just happen, as you say, it wonderful. I like the originals FG trees showing more depth (Lighter trees in the BG) rather than the worked on image. I like your crop but would consider taking a slice off the top. I also like how you have changed the colour of the sun. Good idea. Dust bunny alert! RHS top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful sky! I played with this concept a little back and I know that it's not for everyone, but I think it's quite something to present a sun right up front like that. I like the sun's placement you presented: Being slightly off centered like that, but I am leaning towards taking off a slice from the top, making it a little more panoramic. One thing that I think could improve this photo is focus on the near tree on the LL corner... it would be a really nice shot if it is also in focus.

Oh, and I would guess sunset. But I can't really tell! Tell us. I really wanna know. Haha.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like I said earlier, this was an unplanned shot. I was out early in the morning looking for birds, and happened to glance over my shoulder and saw this sight. I have to think about this more and plan a true panoramic shot from a tripod, with low ISO and long SS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice -- I like your crop and processing. A great example of ETTR, with the exposure being brought down in post to give more color and depth with less noise. A composite would have worked well here, with one focused on the near trees and one on the sun.

You could experiment will a lower color temp to bring a little more blue in the sky, but that might mess up the color in the sun.