Thread: Problems with 1DX cutting out

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Problems with 1DX cutting out

Eventually, I am going to have to send my 1Dx to Canon for repair, I think, but before I do, I thought I would enquire if anyone else here has had the same issue.

Simply, configuring my Canon 1DX plus 200-400 with extender activated for 560mm, plus 1.4 XT III extender to take it up to 780mm, using "Silent" shutter mode - the camera will work for 20 frames or so, then shut down as if the battery were flat. Switching to a fresh fully charged battery has no effect but after removing, replacing the battery and switching the camera On/Off multiple times (like 20 times) the camera comes back to life and stays that way.

It seems only to be in this configuration that the problem occurs and it is intermittent, so very frustrating. I haven't tried yet to replicate it with the 2x XT III yet. All the contacts are clean and there is no obstruction in the battery housing.

In the field, my solution is to simply switch to my trusty old 1D MkIV and it doesn't have any problem with the same configuration.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gerald

2. Thanks DennisCassidy thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

you can check the contacts inside the battery chamber with a flash light for any loose/broken pins. In any case only Canon can fix it. It is strange that it only happens with a given lens combination.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerard,
    The problem is a common issue. The "motherboard" has a problem in many 1DX. I was not aware of this problem until last April when my 1 DX suddenly stopped working. The scenario you describe is exactly what I experienced.
    Upon further investigation, I found several photographers that experienced the same problem.
    Canon denies it is an issue but in my small circle of bird photographers friends I know of 5 that have had this same issue.
    Bottom line is it cost me $298.08 for the repair!Canon replaced 2 boards and my 1 DX works fine now.
    Gail
    PS I also reverted to my trusted 1DMKIV when this happened!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Funny I have never heard of this issue before.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gail and Arash, I appreciate your responses - thanks. There is some reassurance in knowing that others have also had the same problem - suggests that it isn't some inadvertent damage or stupidity on my behalf!

Best wishes, Gerald

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Gerald, I am one of those unlucky owners of the same failed motherboard in my 1Dx... Just as you are describing: my camera would just go dead, and i also did everything etc, ... but only Canon had the fix. My repair was in January of this year and while in Iceland last month I ran into this trouble: while viewing my images on the back of the camera, after zooming in: WHACK: camera goes dead, nope LCD screen dead, so it looks like it'll be back to Canon and mo money. What did you do and what did they say?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I dealt with a local entity of the CPS network in the Netherlands but didn't get to speak to a technician - they don't let technicians talk to customers for some reason! They replaced a board in the camera and billed me for it - approximately equivalent to $250. I haven't used the camera extensively since - but it seems to be working fine so far. Are you still in the warranty period? You might want to consider trading in on an upgrade if you are going to have persistent issues. Good luck with it!

Gerald