Thread: Carry Case for 600mm Lens w/Unattached Pro Body

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Carry Case for 600mm Lens w/Unattached Pro Body

Greetings,

I have a 600mm f/4 and 1DX. I want to carry both in one bag, but don't want to carry them attached. The Lowepro Trekker 600 AW III looks interesting, but I've been unable to learn if it can handle the camera body separate from the lens. Other ideas? Thanks.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jim,
    You might be interested to take a look at http://www.koenig-photobags.de/koech.../lenspacker-2/ . This particular model LensPacker2 from Koenig Photobags is specifically for the 600 mm lens with the full sized DSLR attached. You could possibly take a smaller model for the lens and then use one of the system attachment bags for the body. I don't own this myself, but know someone who does - and he likes it very much because of the quality "German Engineering" and the system concept that allows different attachment accessories such as camera bags or even a tripod bag. Don't know if they already export to the USA, but if you drop them a line they will probably be very helpful.

Regards, Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's a worthy response, Gerald. Thank you. Beautiful bag. Reminds me of the old Arc'teryx bags with the roll top. Solidly waterproof. I liked what I saw and will make contact with the manufacturer. I didn't find an American distributor. Again, thank you for your help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have the Trekker 600 AW III and it is very well-built and comfortable for hiking. It fits the 600 (with the hood reversed) + a 2X with a 1DX II body attached. There are two padding pieces inside (vertically adjustable on Velcro strips) that cradle the narrower neck of the lens. If a body is not on the lens there would be room to place one above the lens, but you would want to have it in a padded package.

You can see the inside of the bag in one of the views here:
    http://store.lowepro.com/lens-trekker-600-aw-iii

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello, Diane Miller, thanks for the response. Do you carry your lens with camera attached? If so, that would ease my concern enough that I would likely do the same. I have the Think Tank Airport Accelerator that I used for the 500mm, and the 600 fits inside, but tightly. And with a bigger lens inside, it was out of balance. I think I'll just order the Trekker 600 from Amazon, and if I'm not happy with it, Amazon will take it back. Your advice helps.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, I carry them attached. But if they were subject to some banging around in transport there could be a concern. A big was of bubble wrap or towels could provide some additional padding.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I use the same bag that Dianne does and have for years. Many of my friends use the same bag and we always have camera attached with no issues. It can be adjusted very comfortably to fit your back. You can also attach your tripod on the side. I am able to get all of my flash equipment inside as well and my teleconverters.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Two well informed photographers share experience. Thank you. Trekker 600 AW III it is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Diane and Marina, I just ordered the Trekker 600 AW III. Thanks for the suggestion.