Thread: Extension tubes for Canon 200mm f2.8 L II, too front heavy? Any difference between EF25 II and I?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Extension tubes for Canon 200mm f2.8 L II, too front heavy? Any difference between EF25 II and I?

Hello,

Two months from now I will be going to India and will be spending some time in the rainforest shooting snakes, frogs, large bugs etc. at the peak of the monsoon season. I am considering taking along the Canon 200mm f2.8 L II lens w/ Canon 7D and 1.4X TC II. I plan to increase magnification by using one or more extension tubes and using a tripod with macro rail for macro work. I am looking to achieve 0.4x-0.5x magnification.

Few questions:
    1. I am a bit apprehensive about using more than one tube with TC attached to this lens, am worried that the system might not be very stable because the lens does not have a tripod mount, so this will be a very front heavy setup the more tubes I add. Would like to ask the community here, will the top heaviness not be such a big issue with say 2-3 tubes (e.g. all the tubes in the Kenko set?)? Also does the order matter which one goes first, TC or tube?

2. I came across a used Canon EF25 (original version) that sells for ~$45, so half the price of Canon EF25 II so am considering purchasing this. I have looked on the internet for what the difference is between the version I and II but did not find any, does anyone know? Another route is to buy the Kenko tube set for $110 but if I'm spending $110 on tubes only maybe I'm better off buying the Tamron 90mm macro used for around $170 and use that lens for macro work and use the Canon 200mm + 1.4X for birds and flowers etc.

Appreciate any help/comments

Thank you
    Nikhil

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

According to B&H, there is an optional tripod collar for that lens. At 2.45-lbs, I don't think it's going to be an issue on a 7D, but why not buy the collar if you're concerned.

I don't know the difference between the S-I and the S-II Canon ETs, but I suspect it's something to do with communication and/or focus speed. For your stated usage, those won't likely be important parameters.

For the subjects that you list, I'd rather hand hold my 70-200mm with a 1.4x TC-III and an ET 25, to take advantage of the IS. That rig communicates fully with the body and EXIF data recorder. You say 7D. There's quite a difference in low-light performance between the 7D and the 7D MkII. With the 7D, I'm reluctant to go above ISO 800, where ISO 1600 is still excellent with the 7D2 and higher ISOs are good when combined with good NR.

3. Thanks Nikhil Patwardhan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

For maximum magnification, put the extension tube on the lens and the TC on the body. In the case of simply using a TC, Canon has said to put the TC on the lens first then attach the set to the body, but I've never heard why. So I'd put the ET and then the TC on the lens, to be safe.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 06-07-2016 at 05:06 PM.

5. Thanks Nikhil Patwardhan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David and Diane, I have ordered the EF25 (I), and will give it a go with the 1.4TC without a tripod collar.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Patwardhan View Post
    Thanks David and Diane, I have ordered the EF25 (I), and will give it a go with the 1.4TC without a tripod collar.
    For the subjects you listed, I'd shoot hand held, at least at first try. When you get at maximum magnification, you move the camera in and out, rather than refocus. The 200mm gives you luxurious working distance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have a macro rail which I plan to use, I used to use a reversed 28-70mm lens before so I know exactly what you mean

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil Patwardhan View Post
    I have a macro rail which I plan to use, I used to use a reversed 28-70mm lens before so I know exactly what you mean
    Working with 200mm will likely give you less magnification, but way more working room, which will be handy with snakes and bugs. I'd suggest giving hand held, without the rail, a try.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Magnifications with Canon 200mm f/2.8L II with Canon EF 1.4X II Extender and EF25 Extension tube

Working with 200mm will likely give you less magnification, but way more working room, which will be handy with snakes and bugs.
    Yup, for snakes it will be handheld for sure, I'll experiment with the bugs/flowers here and see what kind of photos I get in the coming few days.

I just did some quick measurements at home to get an idea of the magnifications with 1.4X TC and EF25 and below are the results, will test in the field next. Posting here in case it helps someone contemplating the same setup.
    Minimum focus is measured from the front of the lens, there could be an error of an inch or two.

Lens Minimum Focus Magnification
    Canon 200mm f2.8 L II 4F3 0.16
    Canon 200mm f2.8 L II w/ 1.4X 4F3 0.22
    Canon 200mm f2.8 L II w/ EF25 2F6 0.32
    Canon 200mm f2.8 L II w/ 1.4X (on lens)
    and EF25 (on body)
    3F3 0.35
    Canon 200mm f2.8 L II w/ 1.4X (on body)
    and EF25 (on lens)
    2F6 0.44

Forum Participant
    Threads