Thread: Another low down through the grass

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Another low down through the grass

Following on from my last shot i am still continuing to try and capture some head on shots .
    Over the last week i am slowly getting in to the swing of it with the 500mm ,it reminds me a bit when i used to play cricket were it would take me a few overs before i got the line and length with the ball(not sure if out American freinds can associate that with photography) but thats how it feels...getting the bird head on is difficult mainly because i have to focus early in the flight so i dont move the lens when he gets to the half way point as the slightest movement just sends him a touch to the left or right ,albeit a slight movement but enough to lose the head on shot but it aint half fun trying .
    As well as having fun ,their is more to me spending all these hours with the bird as i do get to know more about them as we had a very hot night here as we have had previously on the odd ocassion, were i have seen the bird panting, but i also for the first time last night watched the bird lift his wings up slightly to allow air to circulate ,he held that position for quite a while ,a bit like lifting our arms to allow air to circulate our arm pits ......as said i have seen him pant before but the wing lift and panting was a first for me......
    Canon 1d mkiv 00mm f4 at f4 iso 1000 1/1600sec -1/3 ev Name:  Little-owl-6th-June-2016-(1-of-1)-13.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  219.6 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What is there to say Den ? I really like everything about this. very well done
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is very very nice...IFor me no problem the cutting ..I no like too much the backround..but the bird is fantastic

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very well done

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent shot Dennis, love the eye contact and the nice light that gives this a 3D effect, the BG is excellent and shows the habitat. My only suggestion is the tone down the highlights on the feet a little bit

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is one of your best of these owls for sure!!! Love the light and the symmetry. It almost looks as though this devil is giving you a little bit of an evil eye!!!
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Dennis, fantastic flight pose. Love the detail and the stare.

Well done

Will

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh Dennis now your dancin! Lovely lovely shot, I guess this was evening hence the colours which are very pleasant. The pose is absolutely KO.
    Having said that if you add a hue/saturation layer and lower the yellows (non specific) just 2-3 points it gives a slightly different interpretation to consider - (you may not like it and prefer the original).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice with all the habitat around the bird and the head on view. Super work, Dennis.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another top owl shot, the BG really sets off the perfect wing positioning and the eyes are well lit

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot. Wing angle, pose, sharpness are all top notch. Really like the grasses as well as they add so much to where this bird lives. I am so jealous. Owls in New York never and I mean never let you get anywhere near this close to them. To me the highlights on the feet are a bit hot. Also, and I know this is just a personal thing, but I wish there was an equal amount of room on the left and right side. If mine I would center the bird in the frame as it is a head on shot and it is not flying left or right. Now you have a bit more room on the right than on the left. Trust me that is a minor nit as this shot is just wonderful.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dennis, you are getting better and better on evry shot! This one has it all, the straight eye contact, wing spread, BG, sharpness. Yes, the feet are a bit bright , like Arash suggested, burning them a little. The only way that could make this image better is if you can see the yellow on the top part of the eye. But that means working at lower light angle or overcast sky. Well done. Loi