Thread: Seeking avian photo spots near Chicago

Michael Rosenbaum

Default Seeking avian photo spots near Chicago

I'll be driving north from Florida, staying in the Chicago area for about 10 days, then driving back. Any suggestions for good wild bird photography would be appreciated. The only site I know to stop at is Muscatatuck NWR in so. Indiana.

Yannis Arvanitis

Hi Michael. Since no one has responded yet...while I live in the Chicago area, I have only recently developed the interest to do birding and photography here, so I can only share what I have run across in my own research. A decent guide to birding sites in Chicago is available for free on the web. If you go to the Bird Conservation Network site they have a link to it from their Chicago Region Birding Trail page. URL is: www.bcnbirds.org/birdtrail/index.html and the link to the PDF is about 1/2 down the page.

I have tried a couple of forest preserves and even the "magic hedge" at Montrose, but have had spotty results at best (but I've only tried a couple of times thus far). Fullerburg Woods is nearest to me and I have been there the most - some mallards and geese, some great blue herons and night herons, and the regular locals (sparrows and cardinals).

Lots of pigeons and gulls in the city if you're interested :-)

When is your trip to the windy city?

Hope that helps.
    Yannis.

Sid Overbey

Michael, where in the Chicago area will you be staying? There are a number of spots that are pretty good, but may not be close to you. The trail guide that Yannis mentioned is very good.

Have a good trip.

Michael Rosenbaum

Thanks, Yannis and Sid; your responses are much appreciated. I arrived in Evanston earlier this week. I've had some luck at the Botanical Gardens on Lake-Cook Rd. (hummingbirds, cardinals, finches). Went to Baker's Lake and that was cool with white pelicans, cormorants, and bc night herons, but the distance was too great to shoot. I may do the Jackson Park walk Sat. a.m. if the weather is decent. And as you say, the Birding Guide is quite helpful.