Thread: Grey Beauty, Yellowstone National Park

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Beauty, Yellowstone National Park

Attached Images Attached Images

My first Great Grey Owl!!!

After several failed attempts over the years to locate a Great Grey Owl, I finally had the fortune to spend ~ 2 hours watching this Grey Beauty hunt this morning. We hiked in for abotu a mile or so in bear country, armed with bear spray, and slogging thru the mud. At the second meadow, our guide located the owl at quite a distant away on a busy perch with side lighting. We took a few shots and tried to maneuver so that the sun would be on our back. But then he launched to catch a vole and then landed on a high perch. So we turned our gear around, not so great perch either. Then he moved again, this time to a low perch, so we spent the next hours or so shooting. Then he flew away from us and landed on the grass in the shade with terrible background. So we maneuver again. The owl seemed to sense our frustration, so in the last move, he landed on this beautiful perch covered with lichen.

It was in a small meadow, so the owl was in the shade or dappled light most of the time, but the background can be quite strong, making it difficult to find a pleasing image. I tried to shoot standing up, kneeling at eye level, etc. This one seems to work the best with a relative dark background of distant trees. The branch intersects with his head is annoying, but I generally prefer not to clone out elements.

1DX
    400f4 DO II
    1/500
    f5.6
    ISO-3200
    HH while kneeling.

Cropped to about 50% of FF.
    Thank you for commenting on my previous images. Your thoughtful comments were much appreciated.
    Hope you like this one.

Loi

Threads
    Thank You Posts

congrats on your first great grey shot, I like the perch and the sharp details. nice soft light too but I wish the owl was directly looking at the camera and also I find the bright spots in the Bg distracting

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice shot Loi, I would suggest temper the background contrast and maybe lift the darker plumage in the face a little.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Loi
    Apart from the unfortunate bright patch below the birds lower left flank, looks pretty natural (As you see them) to me. I would be more concerned about the pale line- birds head left, if nit picking.
    JohnR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Huge congrats on your first GGO. I bet you were excited!!! Love the perch and the pose is nice. The BG is really hurting this image since it draws the eye away from this stunning subject. I too however would have pulled the trigger on this image had I been in your shoes.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Folks, much appreciate your feedback. I knew the bG would be a problem and tried to avoid the bright spots, but were still not careful enough. Still on the road, so just want to do a quick re-post by adding a few blacks to the Yellow in Selective Color and cropped tighter. I hope it looks better. Thank you. Loi
    Last edited by Loi Nguyen; 06-06-2016 at 11:40 PM.