Thread: Common Loons

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Loons

Attached Images Attached Images

We found a Loon family feeding on some insect larva, they were so intent on eating and feeding the chicks that they did not mind when the boat drifted close by, so I was able to capture some close up photos. The only time they would get disturbed is when other Loons flew over, then they would spaz out a bit, then resume feeding. Canon 7Dll, 100-400ll at 400mm, f8, 1/1000ss,500iso

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Michael:

Nice to see my favorite birds this early in the season. Our loons in Michigan are just starting to hatch in the southernmost extent of their range, and several weeks to go further north. When was this one taken?

I like the red eye, water beads, relatively low shooting angle. Food transfer all good.

Perhaps a bit tight. Is this full frame?

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Michael:

Nice to see my favorite birds this early in the season. Our loons in Michigan are just starting to hatch in the southernmost extent of their range, and several weeks to go further north. When was this one taken?

I like the red eye, water beads, relatively low shooting angle. Food transfer all good.

Perhaps a bit tight. Is this full frame?

Look forward to more.

Cheers

Randy
    Hi Randy,
    I got this and around 2000 more images this Sunday in central MN. Weather was great, the Loons were cooperative. I only wish I could have got down closer to the water, but I was in my friend's motor boat, and it had pretty tall sides. It was almost full frame, I cropped some from the right side, it didn't look right, kind of unbalanced, and my eyes were drawn to the chicks butt haha. More loons coming soon! ~ MT

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Maybe a little tight, but certainly very sweet. Adult is beautiful with the nice details over all and the water droplets. Nice feeding behavior too. Well done.

6. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great the way you have captured all those water droplets and the interaction between adult and juvenile.Nice detail on the head and that eye really makes it.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely frame Michael. The water drops throughout the image make it. Well done
    John