Thread: Laughing Gull in foam

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Laughing Gull in foam

Attached Images Attached Images

While photographing terns and shorebirds on the beach this Laughing Gull caught my eye. It was really windy and there was a bunch of foam coming off of the waves and filling up the beach. I liked the look of the bird being surrounded by white. The background is a large wave crashing. So it is something more than a gull on the beach. I have more room on to add more of the foam but decided to crop some of it out. Kind of felt like the bird was floating on a cloud rather than standing on a beach. Think it is better as is or with more on bottom? Taken at Breezy Point in Queens, New York. 5/28/16.

Canon 7d2 and Canon 500 f4 ii +1.4x iii. ISO 400, F7.1, SS 1/3200, -1/3rd. Camera on tripod with legs fully extended while I was lying on the sand. Single focus point on neck just below bill.

Converted in DPP 4 and used daylight white balance.. In PS I leveled it as the bird was standing on a sloped part of the beach, cropped, applied NR to background and sharpened.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Issac:

I like it for the reasons you do, the framing by wave and foam, nice look back pose, ruffled feathers.

Comp. works well with gaze direction.

Well seen and executed.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done Isaac, beautiful colors here. The background fades away beautifully. Good low shooting angel.
    Robert Kimbrell