Thread: Black Headed Gulls.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Headed Gulls.

Attached Images Attached Images

I was surprised to catch these sea birds nest building on a freshwater lake.

Canon 7D Canon 100-400 L Hand Held.

1/1250 @ f 9. ISO 800.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David:

Good nesting action, saturated colors, good shooting angle.

To my eye, the point of focus was the large post in the back, which is sharper than anything else. This renders the front bird and most of the nest a bit OOF. There is a halo around parts of the upper bird, esp. over his back.
    The water seems to be suffering a bit from jpeg compression issues as it looks a bit blotchy.

If you have other frames of this scene, perhaps not as dramatic, but with the focus on the birds, would be interesting to see.

Again, very good story telling component, and interesting natural history of salt water birds nesting on fresh water.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Randy. Agree with everything you have said. The IQ is not very good and I can't explain the halo around the bird because I have not done any work to it. Here is the next frame which seems to be better to me although you may not agree and I am OK with that.Name:  _Z5A9882.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  381.1 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David did like the Op showing the bird carrying it's nesting material and do agree it did look a bit soft,the birds in the repost looks better but Randy as a better eye than me so look forward to his views.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I prefer the action in the first frame but the second frame is much better technically.

Whites are well exposed and there is a very nice golden light

Both birds nice and sharp on the second frame. Maybe a bit off the bottom and added to the top?

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David:

Thanks for the second image, as it is much better in all regards except the action, but I would choose it every time. Sharpness better, there is still a sense of action with the back birds wings up, matching head angles.

We all capture images that are special in some way, and we really want them to work, but sometimes there are just too many issues to make it succeed. I also fall in love with certain frames, but in the end often will let them sit for a bit after processing, look at them with 'fresh eyes' and decide if they are really good enough to post

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much for your wise counsel Randy. I have learned from it.

David
    Last edited by David Cowling; 05-30-2016 at 01:24 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yuppers, the first frame had interesting behaviour but the second one kills it on all counts. I am shocked that nobody mentioned the different processing. The original post is way too warm with a big yellow cast. The second one has clean, crisp whites and beautifully natural blues...

Image #2 by 20 lengths....
    a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David pleased I read Arthur's input into this,did not notice till it was pointed out.

Keith.

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David:

I would consider adding a little on top as Shane mentioned, wings are a bit crowded up there.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS