Thread: Western Screech-Owl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Western Screech-Owl

Here is an adult Western Screech-Owl I photographed in Madera Canyon, Arizona, USA.

I played about ten seconds of recorded song to gauge the species' presence in the area. Once I heard the bird respond, I stopped playing the tape and located the bird.

Name:  WESO3.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  378.9 KB

Techs:
    Nikon D7100
    Nikkor 300mm f4 (old version)
    SS 1/800
    ISO 800
    f/6.3
    SB-910 on camera, i-TTL @ -0.7 EV

CC welcome. In hindsight I could have reduced both ISO and shutter speed. Usually when I photograph owls I get too excited (since I haven't had too much experience) and my hands get shaky so I try to compensate for that with a higher shutter speed. And the terrain I shoot the owls on is not often conducive to tripod use. I guess I could use a monopod. . .

Post: Removed two distracting bright OOF branches, and cleaned up second catchlight in each eye. Usual sharpening and contrast work. Slight crop.
    Last edited by Walker Noe; 05-29-2016 at 11:17 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Walker,looks like a real Owl in the night capture on that black bg,I personally would be pleased with the image quality on this,those eyes are certainly fixed on you.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Owl looks nice and sharp, and well exposed. Tough capture under those conditions. Great eye contact. If I tried to find a nit, it would be to tone down a few of the glare spots on the perch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the talons. Good job with the night flash techniques. Were you working in dense brush?

Tip: select the pupils, put them on their own layer, hit Control + U, and reduce the Saturation close to 100% and then darken the selection using the other slider. That will remove the faint red eye.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Keith and Bill. I will reduce some highlights on the branch, good idea.

Arthur, thanks for the feedback. Something seemed off about the eyes but I wasn't sure what it was. What you explained makes sense to me now! I was indeed working in very dense brush, and have quite a few scrapes to prove it.

6. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post