Thread: 1200mm Flight Photography...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default 1200mm Flight Photography...

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created on the next-to-last afternoon of the Fort DeSoto IPT with the Induro GIT 304L/Mongoose M3.6-mounted Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II USM lens, the Canon Extender EF 2X III, and the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II and Premium Kit with 64GB Card and Reader. ISO 1600. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop as framed: 1/2500 sec. at f/9 in Manual mode. Daylight WB.

One AF point below the center AF point/AI Servo Expand/Shutter Button AF as originally framed was active at the moment of exposure. The selected point just caught the back of the gull’s hood. Click on the image to see a larger version.

AF Micro-adjustment via LensAlign/Focus Tune: +4. Tutorial coming soon.

Learn more about flight photography at 1200mm http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/...e-1dx-mark-ii/http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2016/...e-1dx-mark-ii/.

As for the image, don't be shy; all honest comments welcome and appreciated. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely intense look pose. I like the fanned out tail. Beautiful BG which helps the bird to stand out well. Great IQ for 1200mm. Not too sure that I like the effect of the water drops (?) speckles on the birds head.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cowling View Post
    Lovely intense look pose. I like the fanned out tail. Beautiful BG which helps the bird to stand out well. Great IQ for 1200mm. Not too sure that I like the effect of the water drops (?) speckles on the birds head.
    Thanks David. I thought about eliminating those water specks... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arthur it's good that you can get this sharp from the tip of it's beak to that nice fanned out tail,exposure looks spot on to these eyes of mine.

Keith.

5. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Exposure, sharpness and 3d like DOF are all excellent for any range.
    Eye contact or head up would have been nice......
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    Exposure, sharpness and 3d like DOF are all excellent for any range.
    Eye contact or head up would have been nice......
    Maybe nice for us but not for the gull that was looking for food escaping from a pelican's bill (see on the blog). And eye contact with us would have destroyed the story for me :)

a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Drop dead gorgeous Artie: dof made all the difference here with coverage head to toe and fanned tail feathers! I really like the white eye ring on this species to give the definition... I like the water droplets on the bird and off the bird, super image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Drop dead gorgeous Artie: dof made all the difference here with coverage head to toe and fanned tail feathers! I really like the white eye ring on this species to give the definition... I like the water droplets on the bird and off the bird, super image!
    Thanks Ann but you need to go back and study some of the blog posts... D-O-F at such a great distance is a non-issue. Try a search on the blog for "Depth of field; what you see is what you get."

a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks Ann but you need to go back and study some of the blog posts... D-O-F at such a great distance is a non-issue. Try a search on the blog for "Depth of field; what you see is what you get."

a
    Okay Artie, I will do so this evening... thank you

11. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post