Thread: Ruddy Turnstone at sunset

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruddy Turnstone at sunrise

Attached Images Attached Images

Took the morning off of work and got to the beach to photograph shorebirds in breeding plumage before they continue their migration and go farther north. This Ruddy Turnstone was on the beach at Breezy Point in Queens, New York.

Canon 7d2 and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. Tripod mounted with legs fully extended so just off the ground. ISO 400, f8, SS 1/2000 -1/3

Converted in DPP 4. In PS I did minor level adjustments. Cropped, NR to background and sharpened.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 05-29-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Isaac,

I am very taken with this! Perfect techs, well exposed, POV is superb, so is the HA from the subject. Lovely colours. Well composed, processed and presented.

I am surprised you only have 15 threads, you joined BPN in 2014! Wonderful work, nice detail and sharpness - what is not to like here?

Thank you so much for sharing, I do look forward to more from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the IQ , the soft light and the fantastic blue surroundings around the bird. I'd lighten the eye and the dark plumage just a bit. Well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful lighting and a beautiful image. Lovely colours and detail throughout. I would have liked a little more head turn towards us.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The bird really stands out well against the blue of the water and sky. The bird is nicely exposed with good colour and detail in the feathers. IQ is very good. The raised foot adds a sense of movement. Just a slight head turn towards us would have added to the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful plumage and colors. I like the multi tone blue BG. The HA helps, but I still have the feeling that the bird is angling away from you. Loi

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela. I was a long time lurker and non paying member. Took the time to practice and learn and to really try and get better before I started to present some of my pics. Also went through levels of upgrades on with my equipment.

I agree with the others that a slight head turn would have been more ideal. But I liked the image enough that I thought it still worked as is.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet bird, lovely light, sharp, and it sure beats working. In an ideal world the bird would be well higher in the frame thus including the complete reflection. All in all very well done. a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.