Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flame Bowerbird

Name:  Flame Bowerbird_Matthew Jones_8893_1200.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  364.3 KB
    Click here for Flame Bowerbird video and other PNG birds

Flame Bowerbird (Sericulus aureus).

One from 2013 that I thought I'd share as this bizarre species isn't photographed all that often. The red/orange is ultra reflective and difficult with flash, impossible without it. I was lucky to time my arrival at Kiunga with the departure of the BBC film crew and was able to make use of the hide they had set up over the three days I was there.

Nikon D4, 420 mm, f/4, 1/320s, 1SO 1250, Tripod, flash

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the frame, perch, pose and eye contact. I have no experience with the bird but it looks to me the red is bit over saturated so some details are missing. Could be I'm wrong. Nice bird. TFS.

Cheers,
    Miro

3. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's an astonishingly beautiful bird Matt, but I think Miro is on the right track. It looks to me as if it were slightly overflashed. As you probably know, brightly colored plumage is tough to expose accurately against such a dark background. My guess is that a stop or so less flash would have given you the light you needed without losing that feather detail.

Not sure, but I seem to recall a 1/250 sec max flash sync speed for that camera. Were you using a high-speed sync setting (multiple, high-speed flash pulses) of some kind on your flash?

Russ Norwood
    www.perceptivist.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Now that's an amazing bird! I can imagine it would be really tough to expose perfectly. I think you came pretty close, but you might be able to eke a little more detail out of the red channel. Thanks for sharing this beauty.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Matthew,
    Beautiful bird and pose but looks flat do to the flash, I still would like to have this in my collection.

-Tim

Threads
    Thank You Posts

very colorful specie, but as mentioned the red channel is totally blown, you need to go back to raw and then down the reds quite a bit

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  Flame Bowerbird_Matthew Jones_8893_1200-2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  358.1 KB
    Had another go with the reds and reduced the brightness a bit more, hopefully there is more detail in the RP, I think that reducing the reds has accentuated the flash bounce though and also it doesn't really reflect the true colour of the bird. I haven't seen a shot of this species which gets the detail in the reds (challenge, anyone got one?), even the video without external lighting couldn't capture it well. Will just have to go back and try again with different flash technique, maybe bouncing the flash off an umbrella thanks all for CC's
    Last edited by Matthew Jones; 05-29-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Norwood View Post
    Not sure, but I seem to recall a 1/250 sec max flash sync speed for that camera. Were you using a high-speed sync setting (multiple, high-speed flash pulses) of some kind on your flash?
    Thanks Russ - the settings were TTL High sync, no strobe return and yes above 1/250 @ 1/320. Unfortunately I couldn't get the flash off the camera which I think was the biggest problem here, tnx.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great looking bird and you did well capturing it. The colors are awesome and the detail looks really nice too. Looks like that red is so vivid that getting it right is tough but I think it looks pretty good considering. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com