Thread: Red-eyed Vireo

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Red-eyed Vireo

Attached Images Attached Images

Though I've seen these beauties before, this is the first image I've captured of one. They don't stay put for long. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm + 1.4TC, 1/1250s, f 5.6, ISO 2000, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done for capturing one for the first time, always a good feeling. Nice calling pose and some good details on the bird itself.

However, there are a couple of points to pick up on. The main issue is the bird being angled away from us, it would have improved the shot no end to have had him (or her) parallel with the camera or slightly towards us. The shooting angle is a bit steep - if this is a setup then its a thought for next time, if it's a natural perch, not so much you can do about it.

Lastly, have you done some PP work on the perch? It goes soft very abruptly towards the left of your subject.

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Geoffrey I understand the post it was a treat to get the image, the bird is well focused and nicely detailed, but I have to agree with Mike regarding the perch and angle etc the far left of the branch looks as though there might have been some manipulation going on?

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Poole View Post
    Well done for capturing one for the first time, always a good feeling. Nice calling pose and some good details on the bird itself.

However, there are a couple of points to pick up on. The main issue is the bird being angled away from us, it would have improved the shot no end to have had him (or her) parallel with the camera or slightly towards us. The shooting angle is a bit steep - if this is a setup then its a thought for next time, if it's a natural perch, not so much you can do about it.

Lastly, have you done some PP work on the perch? It goes soft very abruptly towards the left of your subject.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. This was a natural perch and on a tree with many possible branches to perch on. Of course he picked one of the angled ones. If parallel to the sensor it might not, on this particular bird, have shown the subtle yellow feathers as well.

Yes I did do some PP on the perch and had changed my mind on the crop to include more on the left, neglecting to sharpen the rest. Thanks for seeing this.

GeoffreyName:  © 2016 Geoffrey Montagu SDH•••_4654-5-2016-Pole-F.-Red-eyed-Vireo copy.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  138.1 KB
    Last edited by Geoffrey Montagu; 05-26-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Geoffrey I understand the post it was a treat to get the image, the bird is well focused and nicely detailed, but I have to agree with Mike regarding the perch and angle etc the far left of the branch looks as though there might have been some manipulation going on?
    Thanks Jonathan. Hope the repost mitigates the perch oversight. Because the perch was slightly out of focus on left to begin with, I did not want to over sharpen.

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Geoffrey,
    Beautiful bird that is in my area also but I rarely get to see. A real treat. Agree with comments above especially on the angle of the bird steepness of POV. Nice BG.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Geoffry- we have to grab what we can sometimes and I think you managed something out of a hard situation.
    John

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Geoffrey