Thread: A new life is born

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A new life is born

Attached Images Attached Images

Last Sunday I and a befriended photographer witnessed a special moment at the local zoo (Tiergarten Nürnberg). It is an alpine ibex.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Christian!

And warmest welcome to Story Sequences Forum -you have captured something so special and so rarely seen!

We do have a rule that allows for a maximum of 5 images but I guess we should make an exception here, such unique is your photo essay. Who is the other character in frame no 7? He - or she - seems to take a special interest in the newborn. I really think you must share frame no 5 in the Wildlife Forum, should you need help with PP work please send me a PM:)
    Love the title, those intimate close-ups, vulnerability of the newborn. Nice work in the field, powerful frames and so evocative. Good composition and timing. Beautiful, thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gabriela!

Thank you very much for your supportive comment. I am sorry for breaking the rule and it won't happen again :-).
    The character in no 7 is another female steinbock that shows its interest in the new family member. The birth giving mother could have retreated to a more private place in the compound. Either she didn't care for the visitors or there was no time.

I am not sure what the best cropping for close-ups would be. Should I clip the horns as in 5 or is it better to keep it as in 6.

Best wishes,
    Christian

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Christian, I THANK YOU! Rules are there to be broken, especially when there's good reason, LOL. I truly loved your sequence!

Regarding your question about crop, I personally prefer the image where the subject has the horns in. Although I must admit, both frames work. It's just the composition that's so pleasing in no. 6, I like the head angle from the mother. Please send me a PM if you wish to submit an image in the Wildlife forum, I picked up a few colour casts and a few minor things ( HL a tad too bright in some images), together we can work on those, I will do my best to help.

Thank you so much for info on the other female (frame 7), I find this so interesting! Wonderful work Christian, I surely hope to see more from you - not just here, but in various forums on BPN!

Hope you have a wonderful evening,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

6. Thanks Christian Muellner thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a wonderful capture! And it points out how vulnerable animals are when giving birth. It is amazing how quickly the babies are on their feet.

8. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post