Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/200
    Av(Aperture Value) 11
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    ISO Speed 250
    Auto ISO Speed OFF
    Lens EF180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
    Focal Length 180.0mm
    Flash Type External Flash : E-TTL flash metering

The ambient light was underexposed by about 1/3, I think I underexposed the flash (I usually do)I am not sure if DPP4 captures the exposure on non dedicated flash, will have to check this out. The yellows on the buttercup were not blown but clearly the daylight has caught it, I lowered the yellow luminance on it very slightly.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,

I really like the composition on this shot with the slight head turn on the butterfly. One question, if I may, Jon: The yellow on the butterfly - is it a natural color of this butterfly or does it come from the pollen or maybe even reflection from the flower? Regardless, I think that slight yellow on the butterfly made the image for me even if it is not the true representation of the butterfly

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adhika Lie View Post
    Hi Jon,

I really like the composition on this shot with the slight head turn on the butterfly. One question, if I may, Jon: The yellow on the butterfly - is it a natural color of this butterfly or does it come from the pollen or maybe even reflection from the flower? Regardless, I think that slight yellow on the butterfly made the image for me even if it is not the true representation of the butterfly
    Adhika, I agree there is yellow on the butterfly, they do have a small amount but as you say not so much as here. I think you are spot on i.e there are two reasons firstly the butterfly was feeding in a field of yellow buttercups - hence yellow pollen but there is also some reflected light from the buttercup going onto the butterfly. Initially I thought the raw capture was looking rather yellow so I checked the white balance with the dropper when in DPP.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Difficult exposure with the brilliant yellows of the buttercup, but all looks good. Good that the somewhat shadowed petals underneath are what is visible and not the tops that would have more glare from the light. Lovely graceful curve to the buttercup stem and the delicate lines of the tongue and antennae. Agree that the yellow pollen on the wing adds a subtle and interesting detail.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice comp, a clean background, and the butterfly gave you a great feeding pose! Good sharpness within your DOF - though I would wish that the forewing had been within that depth. If mine, I would clone the bits of spider web by the antenna and further down the stem. Very nicely done!