Thread: Piping Plover

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Piping Plover

Attached Images Attached Images

I photographed this Piping Plover at Breezy Point in Queens, New York while lying down in the wet sand.

Canon 7d ii and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. ISO 320, f8, SS 1/4000, -1/3rd

Converted in DPP 4 and processed in PS. Cloned out a few out of focus shells. Adjusted highlights and shadows/ contrast and added a bit of saturation. Noise reduction to background and sharpened.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully done portrait of a male in well worn breeding plumage. I little bit higher or a little bit lower would have been a little bit better as it would have moved the water/shoreline horizon either up or down... You did well working almost 90 degrees off sun angle but I would not have minded seeing the end of the shadow. I know that these birds rarely stand still for long so kudos on the sharpness.

Ever run into my old buddy Johann Shcumacher? a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: My great preference would have been for just a bit lower. How was the lens mounted?
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much for the reply Arthur. The problem with Breezy Point after the winter storms that we had here is that there is quite a steep decline in some spots. I set myself up to shoot Oystercatchers and I was at the right spot with regards to the horizon. This plover was kind enough to run by me and paused a bit for a few shots. But where it paused my horizon line was off and as you mention not ideal as I was shooting down on it a little bit. Had it stopped a few feet farther to my right then I would have been OK. Camera was on tripod with legs fully extended (third setting) so I was very low to the ground. Too small of a bird to shoot down on it and have the horizon lower. I will go back for more of these guys for sure.

Shadow was cut off due to a crop. I could have left more in but problem was again the slope of where the bird was. Figured it was better to have it level in the shot then to have the shadow complete. Do you think the opposite would be better?

I do not know Johann. Perhaps if I saw him but not by name. Where does he typically go?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are welcome Isaac. I know the drill as far as the unexpected happening... I'd have to see the ORIG. Adding some canvas in the front is also an option if you leave the shadow, but not if it was real long...

Johann is a stocky guy with a Nikon 600. A good friend from my old days in Brooklyn. I will be on Long Island for five weeks this summer. Consider subscribing to the blog and consider the Nickerson IPT. Scroll down just a bit here for details. a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I check your blog all the time. Love it and the information you so generously share. I do get to Nickerson a few times during the summer so maybe I will see you there. Perhaps we will run into each other at Jamaica Bay as well. The East Pond is still my home away from home and by far my favorite place in New York City.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I check your blog all the time. Love it and the information you so generously share. I do get to Nickerson a few times during the summer so maybe I will see you there. Perhaps we will run into each other at Jamaica Bay as well. The East Pond is still my home away from home and by far my favorite place in New York City.
    The East Pond has been one of my very few soul places for more than 38 years, from even before I owned a lens... Seeing a Marbled Godwit there in AUG 1977 wound up changing the remainder of the course of my life... a

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

We briefly talked about this on Facebook once but I knew you from the East Pond long ago. I took over doing the shorebird counts on the East Pond in 1993 I think it was. I remember that you took over for Tom Davis. I remember you used to have a camper or something that you parked just down Cross Bay from the refuge (there is a farmers market and a park in that lot now- or some nonsense like that). Even went there with you once going over some pic of what you thought might be a Little Stint.

My dad took me to the East Pond when I was only 11 or 12. Still go as much as I can and eagerly await early July every year and the onset of the southbound migration.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You did a great job getting low here, and knowing your set up, I don't think you could have gone any lower. You acquired super feather details and sharpness. Since your horizon is blurred, I am good with the head where it is esp knowing the circumstances.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loverly image of this plover,like the pov and colors,nice detail and light.TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    We briefly talked about this on Facebook once but I knew you from the East Pond long ago. I took over doing the shorebird counts on the East Pond in 1993 I think it was. I remember that you took over for Tom Davis. I remember you used to have a camper or something that you parked just down Cross Bay from the refuge (there is a farmers market and a park in that lot now- or some nonsense like that). Even went there with you once going over some pic of what you thought might be a Little Stint.

My dad took me to the East Pond when I was only 11 or 12. Still go as much as I can and eagerly await early July every year and the onset of the southbound migration.
    See you there. I did find NY State's first Red-necked Stint there in July of 1985. a ps: I did see the 1983 Little Stint but do not remember the one that you mention. But heck, I do not remember a lot of things :)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image. I love the POV and the colours and detail on the bird. All finished off perfectly with a lovely BG

Well done and TFS

Will