Thread: California roadtrip-orchard

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default California roadtrip-orchard

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, experimented with sights along the highway as we traveled through California last month. This orchard caught my eye with the patterns. Did slight crop,rotated 6% clockwise, some cloning, color adjust, denoise in sky. Taken with my iPhone 6s, which I'm getting to appreciate quite a bit.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely seen and captured. The checker board pattern fading to infinity and the three repeating hills gives the image great depth. I also like the simplicity of the image. I also find the green and blue color palette soothing. Did you consider removing the miniscule wedge of a brown field along the right upper margin?
    Last edited by gary ellwein; 05-16-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What great color and texture! I agree with Gary about the hills and depth. The leading lines radiating away from the bottom center are very effective, too. I like this a lot.

4. Thanks Hazel Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, Gary, I wondered about that brown spot. Actually, thought I'd wait to see if feedback came on it because I couldn't decide. Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've spent several minutes, now, looking at the image with and without that field healed out and trying to decide which way I prefer. It's hard to do that objectively, though, because I'd already decided I'd like it better with the field. It gives a greater feeling of the expanse of the view and, probably, therefore adds to the feeling of depth. As I kept switching back and forth, it occurred to me that even though it's a very small triangle, it's pointing opposite to the direction that the slope of the hills leads my eye, and I think that's another thing in its favor.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hazel, I really like the slope and repetition of the hills, the patterns of trees, and the contrast between the blues and greens. I don't really have an opinion about the brown field, but I sure liked Dennis's analysis of it! Overall, it is a very striking image...well done.

8. Thanks Hazel Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the input. Guess you showed me why, Dennis, I had trouble deciding about that brown triangle. Think I'll keep it in.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot! Simple and graphic. I love the the repetition of shapes filling the rounded hills. Those rows of trees are fantastic, especially at the angle you chose. Nice contrast with the blue sky. I could go either way re. the brown triangle. The rest of the image is so strong, that it hardly matters. Excellent work.

11. Thanks Hazel Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice seeing and capturing! All said above. Reminds me of the image that was used for Windows some years ago.

13. Thanks Hazel Grant thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How about the other upper right margin. Actually upper left margin. Sorry about that.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gary, not sure what you mean.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The patterns are fantastic. Does not look real. Very nice image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The little wedge of brown abuts the left margin. Initially, I mistakenly said it was on the right.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gary ellwein View Post
    The little wedge of brown abuts the left margin. Initially, I mistakenly said it was on the right.
    This is discussed pro and con in comments above. I think I decided to keep it in.

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hazel,

Greetings. Late to the party but just wanted to say how much I like this. The expanse of the pattern is surprising. Having lived in California most of my life I can't say I can identify where this is. Do tell.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

On the interstate driving up to Sacramento

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

From where? LA?? On I-5??

There are areas somewhat similar to this maybe (very approximately) halfway from Bakersfield (south end of San Joaquin Valley) to Sacramento. But I can't say I recognize this view -- were you off of I-5? Or maybe on 99? But that is parallel to the east and not very far away. There are citrus orchards in rolling hills down around Porterville, which could yield a view similar to this, but not sure from which highway. Not I-5.

The tops of the trees have been pruned level, and I've seen that on some orchards, but not sure what kind. Doesn't look like vineyards, although there are a lot of table grapes down the valley.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It was on I-5. Jim thinks it was on the east side of the interstate near Los Banos. I'll attach a photo of an young orchard which was near this one. May help you to pinpoint area.
    Last edited by Hazel Grant; 05-25-2016 at 07:19 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I did see some odd flat-topped orchards somewhere on I-5 last trip to LA. Could have been in that area -- generally from Patterson to Los Banos. Your iPhone will have the location in the metadata. Go to the Maps module in LR!

I pulled it and there is no GPS data in this file - must have been stripped on export. Also the color space profile (which would be sRGB unless you changed it) is not tagged so it will have very incorrect colors on some monitor/browser combinations.
    Last edited by Diane Miller; 05-25-2016 at 10:19 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

it's still in my phone so I re-sent it to my computer. Camera location is on map here Sorry, thought I had sRGB checked. Will correct that.
    Last edited by Hazel Grant; 05-25-2016 at 10:40 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

OK -- that fits with about where I thought I had seen "flat-top" orchards. No idea what they may be. Will try to notice next trip to LA. The only thing that keeps me awake on I-5 is passing trucks and dodging other cars that are passing trucks.

Younger daughter and her hubby and new granddaughter live there -- mercifully north of most of the freeway system.