Thread: Vireo feeding on Tent Caterpillars.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Vireo feeding on Tent Caterpillars.

Attached Images Attached Images

I caught this Warbling (I think) Vireo ripping apart this silk tent to get the worms inside at Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge in MN yesterday.

Canon 7Dll Canon 100-400ll canon 1.4xlll, 560mm f8 1/1000, 3200 iso !!! Lightroom luminence noise reduction on the background, Photoshop cloned out an ugly angled linb going through the background.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 05-17-2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: lind

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Yumm, looks a bit like cotton candy. Very nice details on the bird, and nice job on reducing the noise. It sure is difficult to get a clean shot of these little guys, and the roof leaves that intersect the bird and unfortunate. Overall, terrific behavioral shot. TFS

3. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a pity about the intersecting leaves, but this is still a very interesting behavioural shot. I think the head could do with a little more sharpening as the shoulder appears to be where the focus hit.

Mike

5. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Mike. Sure wish the tail was clear of the leaves. I also would like a bit more room on the RHS,
    Gail

7. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone! I wish I could have got it out of the leaves, I tried sneaking a bit to the left and the bird would not have it, and was gone. Yes, the head is a bit soft, I did not notice until I saw the post. I am excited that I could have even workable image quality at such hi ISO, and I learned that here, about exposing to the right. works really good!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love the feeding behaviour and the strands of webbing streaming from the bill. Yep, critical focus fell on the shoulder area. I am glad you did not shy away from ISO 3200 when needed!

10. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    I love the feeding behaviour and the strands of webbing streaming from the bill. Yep, critical focus fell on the shoulder area. I am glad you did not shy away from ISO 3200 when needed!
    Thanks! you are right about the focus point. I always strive to focus on the eye, but I had my 1.4xlll on because the birds were not too close, but this one showed up really close, but I had to try, I love when I can get a close up. unfortunately, if I aimed at the head, the tail would get cut off at the bottom, because my setup only allows f/8 and center point only. Another thing I am trying to figure out is when I should be using it, or not using it. (I am a tele noob) I might try sharpening the head a bit tonight, if you think this image is worth saving. Appreciate the tips! ~ MT

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The leaves are the leaves. No leaves, no tent caterpillars. You did a good job of finding a clear slot to the bird's face. I love the behavioral aspects of this image. Try a contrast mask on the bird's face to sharpen it up: Unsharp Mask at 15/65/0.... a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

13. Thanks Michael Thompson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    The leaves are the leaves. No leaves, no tent caterpillars. You did a good job of finding a clear slot to the bird's face. I love the behavioral aspects of this image. Try a contrast mask on the bird's face to sharpen it up: Unsharp Mask at 15/65/0.... a
    Hi Arthur, Thanks! I know if you like it, it is worth saving. I am not sure what a contrast mask is, I will look it up, but for now I will try using my adjustment brush in lightroom to sharpen and add some contrast. ~MT

15. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here it is with some sharpening and contrast added to the head in lightroom