Thread: Reddish Egret chasing fish

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Reddish Egret chasing fish

Attached Images Attached Images

These images are from Ding Darling NWR on Sanibel Island, Florida. I watched this egret catch tiny fish until a school of bigger fish must have moved in as the bird seemed to get very excited. The chase was on as the bird danced and flew on the tidal flat hunting these fish. The fish took to the air trying to escape and I snapped the three shots you see here with fish out of the water. In the end, the egret did catch one of the bigger fish. As you see in the last image, the fish did not give up easily and locked onto the beak of the bird. The bird had to drop the fish and catch it again before swallowing it. A great sight to see at this national wildlife refuge.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Allen,

This is amazing! Superb timing and I gather you had some nice techs too, sharp and very well exposed, great DOF, lovely natural colours - CONGRATULATIONS!

Wonderful story Allen and three gorgeous behavioural frames, second one my favourite because of its unusual content. The eye contact between the egret and its victim is just awesome and creates great tension and anticipation of what is going to happen next. Lots of drama! Superb HA from both bird and fish with the eyes visible, wow you really nailed this, my friend!!!

A great sighting indeed, I just wish more members would be so kind to share their impressions on the stunning Sequences in this Forum as there is obviously some interest and lots of views. Thank you so much for sharing, I so appreciate it, enjoyed viewing, tremendously

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Allen Sparks thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your wish is my command, Gabriela. Awesome series... I have photographed Reddish Egrets fishing but never with the fish jumping out of the water. Great capture, Allen. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

5. Thanks Allen Sparks, Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is some great action happening here. I love the fish in the first frame "flying" straight toward the bird. I am finding it hard to pick a favourite, but I do like the last one with the fish latched onto the beak. All frames are wonderful and tell a wonderful story!

7. Thanks Allen Sparks thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Andre Pretorius's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Congrats Allen!

Well done with the correct SS and DOF to capture the action crisp and to have both in focus.
    Love the "expression" in fish's eyes!
    Regards

Andre.

www.gappimages.com

9. Thanks Allen Sparks thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Incredibly wonderful!! The amazing fishing antics of this bird are so well illustrated here, and with great techs, too!

11. Thanks Allen Sparks thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is just fantastic, you sometimes you look at these things as movies but for me the individual shots seem more powerful - lets see some more - easier said than done

13. Thanks Allen Sparks thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful sequence, great job on getting the SS and DOF spot on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great stuff. 2 and 3 are wondrous because of the positioning of the fish. Lightening the fish in #2 would improve it.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.