Thread: Stalking gator

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Stalking gator

This alligator came straight at me from over 100 yards away. Big fella. It was still fairly early in the morning, so light wasn't perfect but I liked the pose.

Name:  untitled-84-Edit-2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  156.8 KB

Sony a77, Tamron 150-600mm, set at 250mm f6.3, 1/800sec at ISO 640

In LR CC I increased Exposure 1.07, and .......... I know I made some other changes to Highlights/Shadows/Whites/Blacks, but it looks like I lose that info when I send the photo through the (Nik)DFine process. Hmmmm. Well, also cropped pic removing all around to get a better margin.

C&C appreciated.

AP

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi AP, Krikey! I am glad you lived to share this cool image! neat pose, I like the composition, the pattern of the spines sticking out on the water, nice lighting. The head looks a little out of focus.

~MT

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

AP, when you export to Nik Dfine, LR created a TIF file using all LR adjustment you have made at that point. So, it is normal that you cannot see the adjustment on the new TIF file because it has been burnt into the TIF. You should go to the raw file to see those settings.

Having said that, I am really glad this creature did not attack you. I would have run away if I saw it coming at me. I really like the way the light hit the eye. It's beautiful. After a quick scroll crop, I think I would prefer losing the water at the bottom of the frame. I was gonna suggest B&W but I don't know if I wanna lose that warm sunlight on the eye.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful!! I hope it had eaten a big meal recently. I love the curves and subtle blue-gray tones and the warmth on the eye! Focus did fall behind the head -- it's important to get the head / face /eye in focus for animals. Was the focus sensor right on the eyes? Do you have an AF setting for following a moving subject? If so, I would do some tests to see if you are getting back focus.

I agree that a little off the bottom would bring even more emphasis to the gator, but if you need to keep this aspect ratio you could do a gradient burn below the gator.

It is better to get the exposure right in camera, as increasing it in post will bring up shadow noise. Better to overexpose slightly in a case like this where there are no whites to worry about. You have a lot of leeway in LR to bring down light tones and then can further lighten darks (if needed) with less noise.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Andrew! I's supposing your alligators are just like our crocs. I wouldn't be hanging around for quids. When they want to move fast, they can really move fast.

It's a pity the eye is not quite in focus. You were probably looking for an exit route. Agree with slicing off the bottom water.

TFS!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glennie Passier View Post
    Wow Andrew! I's supposing your alligators are just like our crocs. I wouldn't be hanging around for quids. When they want to move fast, they can really move fast.

It's a pity the eye is not quite in focus. You were probably looking for an exit route. Agree with slicing off the bottom water.

TFS!
    Glennie, I have heard if you look at an approaching croc in the eye, you will freeze in fear and become its meal! So it is probably a good thing the eye is a bit soft

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good thinking, Michael!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an amazing creature, not sure I would have stayed long enough to take even one photo.
    Others already mentioned the focus slightly behind the head, besides that, I really love how the light hits the eye and how the body curves through the water.

Thank you for sharing!

Regards,

Robert