Thread: Tufted Titmouse, this one is growing on me

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tufted Titmouse, this one is growing on me

This was another shot from my trip to the 7 Islands Bird Sanctuary in TN. I really like the detail in the feathers although the setting is not great, but it's where the bird was and this one was following me most of the morning singing his little heart out! I did not clone anything out to give the sense that we were in deep woods (which we were!). They don't sit still long so I was glad to get this one! Canon 7D II, Tamron 150-600mm, 600mm, HH, ISO 800, 1/250, f/6.5

Name:  Tufted-Titmouse-482016.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  386.3 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great closeup, and wonderful sharpness for 1/250 at 600mm! And good exposure. We have Oak Titmice out here and they are fidgety little things. I get a lot of frames with no bird, or maybe a toe exiting the top of the frame.

Would be nice if the whole breast was visible -- this is a pose I get a lot, partly behind a branch. Looks like they are thinking about a clear escape path.
    I'd consider cloning out the smaller branches that are exiting the frame.

Looks like you had a good trip! Hope to see more!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Miller View Post
    Great closeup, and wonderful sharpness for 1/250 at 600mm! And good exposure. We have Oak Titmice out here and they are fidgety little things. I get a lot of frames with no bird, or maybe a toe exiting the top of the frame.

Would be nice if the whole breast was visible -- this is a pose I get a lot, partly behind a branch. Looks like they are thinking about a clear escape path.
    I'd consider cloning out the smaller branches that are exiting the frame.

Looks like you had a good trip! Hope to see more!
    Thanks Diane, it was a great trip for birding! Your comment about them looking for a clear escape path is dead on, he would face me and then hop and turn the other direction and then look at me as he is in this shot and then flit to another branch! Good suggestion about those smaller branches.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Warren, what a cute little bird this is. I love his soft colours. I don't mind the very pale BG, but I would also consider cloning our the stray twigs around the edges.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Warren: Ditto the comments above. You have been taking some wonderful, diverse bird photos lately. Sounds like you are travelling and shooting at interesting locations, getting great shots and having fun. I'm officially jealous.

I have not even tried to shoot these small fast guys yet. It seems they flee as soon as I come around with my camera. Oh, I hear them singing away in the underbrush and the dense tree canopy, but never out long enough for a shot. So job well done here!

AP

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Glennie and Andrew! Glennie, I'm going to check out those lower branches and see what I can do. Andrew, they are busy little guys and I felt pretty lucky catching him as well as I did! I have been traveling quite a bit and have lucked out with the weather. Hopefully that will continue!