Thread: Discretion is the Better Part of Valor

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Discretion is the Better Part of Valor

Attached Images Attached Images

Or so they say. Four of these handsome Savanna Hawks were hanging out at the Aripo Field Station in Trinidad during our visit. (The field station is an experimental livestock station doing research into the best livestock breeds for Trinidad, and resulting in the creation of the Buffalypso, among other things. It is, incidentally, a fabulous birding destination.) Anyway, one of these handsome raptors perched on a post some distance away down a dusty track, and I figured I might slowly approach it, taking a shot or two each time I got a bit closer. Right after this frame was taken, I heard my wife and the guide behind me both say "You'd better not go any closer". I looked up to find that several Cape Buffalo had escaped their fenced-in area and were standing on the track, just beyond the hawk, with their shoulders lowered and menacing looks on their faces. I had wanted to get a closer shot, and the hawk was cooperating, but I shouldered the tripod and made a slow retreat, to live another day.

D7200, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 800, 1/1000s @ f/7.1 manual. Cropped from horizontal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lol, great story, I always find myself in cattle areas when looking for birds and I am never comfortable with them around me, one day one cow did try to chase me but luckily I was by the fence and managed to jump over it quickly.

I really like the image, great pose and great clean BG. The details are good. I would just crop a bit from the top if it was mines.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a great looking raptor and pose captured beautifully, Bill. The haze that day created a nice defused light. I was a short distance from Bill focusing in on the same raptors whilst keeping a steady eye on the same few escaped buffalo. Having never seen a Cape Buffalo in person, I took this opportunity to capture several images. I was equally as curious about them as they about us.

Name:  ©-2016-Geoffrey-Montagu-SDH•••_2933_1-Cape-Buffalo.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  138.6 KB

Geoffrey

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image and story Bill, I love the BG and a very handsome subject. The head looks a little soft (perhaps selective sharpening could help) and I would take a but off the top.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Composition of this long legged Hawk is fine by me,not sure about the sharping of the head perhaps a tiny bit that's all.Perch is simple but it suits the bird,nice work Bill.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Bill. In my humble opinion a little darkening/oomph wouldn't come amiss.(Only a teeny bit mind!) Perhaps a little USM on the head.
    Perhaps a little off the top?
    Just my thoughts
    John

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharpening looks OK to me, but I agree with a bit less room above. The perch is plain but adequate - I'd be tempted to darken it a bit to get the green lichen showing more. Excellent BG. Fun story too!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys for the suggestions. And thanks Geoffrey for the context. Here's a repost with 5% black added to the neutrals, a little selective sharpening to the head, and a sliver off the top. Remember that this is a pretty good crop, so sharpening won't recover fine detail that isn't there.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks better in MHO Bill
    John

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bill I think this as made all the difference,just enough.

Keith.

Forum Participant christopher galeski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

very nice,good BG,nice detail in the bird,repost is better.TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again, everyone.