Thread: Great Egret

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Great Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

I shot this Great Egret on the Mystic River in CT. It was late into the golden hour with the sun coming in over my left shoulder. I was handheld on my 70D w/400mm f/5.6 prime - ISO 160 1/2000 f/5.6. Post: LR/PS/NIC Collection.
    I've since upgraded to the 7D MKII but I'm going back through last years shot with newer post skills.
    I would appreciate any input.

Respectfully,
    Paul F

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, I like the nicely sharp image here, with a good head angle and nice eye catchlight. I do think you've overprocessed this a bit as the background colors are oversaturated and the egret's feathers have gotten somewhat muddy looking. Not sure what you did in NIC, but maybe just back off a bit? Still a nice shot, and the green lores are starting to color up.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with John the plumage as taken on a mucky look, which is a shame because the detail and sharpness of the bird looks fine.

Keith.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John/Keith,

Thank you... i have to say that I was a little biased until your comments made me look more objectively... I watch Glenn Barley's processing video's and followed that workflow.

The new edit now looks a lot less processed and again I'd appreciate your honest evaluation.

Name:  Egret_MysticRiver1_1200.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  333.2 KB

Thank you Gentleman...

Respectfully,
    Paul F

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh yes, the whites are much better looking on the repost. The blues too. Good pose by the egret, and I like the dry grass pile it is standing on. The BG is a bit busier than I prefer, but it does depict the marshy habitat quite well.