Thread: Summers coming: brown hare uk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Icon1 Summers coming: brown hare uk

Attached Images Attached Images

First thanks for all the kind help on previous posts ,have a fab weekend everyone.

i'm on the first day of a much earned break so have been 'erm asleep,but got up for the evening light,only to see a hare from the stairs window. A quick wake up cuppa and as the sun dropped proceeded to make a hash of getting close. So I ended up here trying to get around the sun a bit,but wind and hare position(angle) were not really helping things. His next move will be to bolt, a cloud is about to steal the light. I'm very much out of my depth shooting into the light ,so took a series of exposures in an effort to hedge my bets. Concept(hope) was for that "ring of fire look" from the off. I've used one of the more overexposed frames to show you good folks and worked it exposure downwards.dropped by 1.17. I have upped the saturation by one,artistic choice, I guess, some might find it too far,i'm interested in your thoughts.
    I've brought in the blacks on the gamma raised the highlight side slightly and pushed the center point up a bit. I#ve not touched the WB setting from daylight preferring what the camera did to experimentation with the eye dropper,maybe something for me to learn there. It's cropped I guess around 80% of full frame,i just really wanted to get a few more yards on him. The camera lens combo really seemed to struggle for focus maybe it was utterly me I don't know these backlit shots I find incredibly appealing,so any thoughts would be hugely appreciated. I am unsure on sharpness here but maybe later i'd sharpen the hare pull the shy down top right and be slightly happier. I really like the bit of cuckoo spit or spiders web lower left it adds a counter balance for me,does it distract for others?

Canon 1Div
    300f2.8 is

ss1250
    f/4.5
    iso1250

Sorry haven't been about much insane hours worked,apologies for slow replies elsewhere,just wanted to share this. It's a lovely start to a break,not well executed maybe but still lovely to walk out of your door past a sitting pheasant into a field yards away and try for a picture

Cheers for all the help
    take care

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Stu,

Finally we get to see the painter at work, very arty frame and some pleasing colours too! Hare pops nicely from the grasses and I like the "ring of fire". I also like those droplets of dew but the spider web less so, tends to draw my attention from the subject. Lots of gold, some rich browns, love the vibrance in the BG which my vivid imagination interprets as smouldering fire:)

Regarding bright Sun, little you could do about it out there in the field but Photoshop is your friend - there are many ways to go about it, some not so "ethical" but it is all up to you. The Hare could do with a bit more detail, especially the eye.
    Overall a pleasing image well composed and the Hare is incredibly cute, long ears and all. I really enjoyed this Stu, very well done, I am not a painter but your image made me feel like reaching for a canvas and some brushes

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

3. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu,like your attempt at something different which works nicely for me,think this is the way we often see them rather than sitting there nicely in good light and stay long enough to get a decent shot.Don't think I would change a real good effort at an arty shot.

Keith.

5. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hiya Gabriela I hope you are well mate?

Hmm he's in there somewhere,just trying to work through learning the tools at this time ,but he steers me every now and again. I'll have the ethic route please,as little as I know about ethics in photography and processing,I know that route is the one for me . As much as a bumbling fool I am, I'm an honest one,that bit will always be of huge importance to me on a personal level,with my photography.

Gabby, I found winding the hare back and the subsequent loss of his details very hard,I used my Darling's fresh eyes to back up what I was doing also compared the more underexposed frames which gave me an influence,but as expected I had more detail to work from in the more ettr files. Maybe I've been to heavy handed with my processing at this stage(ie he is too dark?),I can see my need to get to the next stage in processing,but can't fathom as of yet how to fit that in to my schedule,but it has to happen somehow. As I'm starting to feel a need,not a want to dig at certain parts of an image not just process in a global way.
    I'm serious fed up with myself that this isn't full frame one slip up in my stalk cost me here,but beyond that I'm an open book to thoughts.Thanks for the comment on the spiders web as before it is noticable and I'm glad you gave me your thoughts on this.
    Gabriela I find these moments,when the light is waning or starting utterly compelling to make pictures in and I'm so drawn to the backlit subject. I know I have barely grasped the basics of this as yet ,but there is some magic there that I want to delve into as I learn how to do this. As I say it's all but compelling to me even at this infant stage where everything is all but bewildering in this digital world !! The minute I realized a chance was still there I had this picture going on in my mind I was trying for, i'm sure it could be better in execution,but you have understood I feel what was behind all this.

Gabriela one last thing your words are so eloquent, so moving, so want me want to be better, try harder, what can I say but cheers and thanks

take care

Stu

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I am very well Stu and enjoying the week-end, thank you! Playing a bit with those tools you are busy learning, one can never say one knows enough and always great to experiment:)

By "unethical" I meant cloning or painting over, here's a simple and very honest way to go about it, what do you think? Cropped out the bright sun and raised exposure on the hare, a tad more sharpening on the long eared fellow, a wee bit extra on the eye, nothing fancy. Err...except for removing the spider bit, sorry for that...I could not help it.

You could do more with this, by the way - let your imagination run free

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

8. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu -- I really liked this concept of yours . You have produced a beautiful image by working against the light ( quite rebellious ). I liked the colours and Hare popping out of the grass also the dew is immensely adding to the frame . I liked what Gabriela did with her RP especially the crop and eliminating some shadows from the hare , but your OP is quite nice as well . Loved it .

TFS !

10. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, sadly time did not allow yesterday to comment, but good to see you had a few replies.

I really like the image, it's a cracking scene and conveys the richness of the time of day very well. Perfect POV and to me, the Hare is well framed and I feel the highlight top right is an integral part of the scene. The head angle may not be ideal and in shade, but the rim light and red popping through the ears is gorgeous.

With the limited knowledge & software available Stu, what you have created is something you should be proud of. You are getting your eye in and like the Barn owl you are steadily building on what you are learning, which in part, cannot be taught, we want to see more Stu.

TFS
    Steve

12. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stu when I first looked at this did wonder about the type of crop That Gabriela as used missing out that light patch in the sky on the OP,think it as worked very well,also the eye showing up a little more but not too much.Not taking anything away from your OP with the lighter patch which gives the image a almost dramatic stormy look , Stu hope I have explained myself and you can understand where i'm coming from.

Cheers Keith.

14. Thanks Stuart Philpott thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi everyone thanks for the replies,Keith sorry buddy not ignoring ran out of steam last night,I think I have understood you . It is maybe an image that works in different ways crop wise for different folks? Jeepers mate, sometimes it is so difficult articulating all this ,well I struggle anyway. So yes I think I've gotcha, I do actually prefer the original crop,ha ha I think lmao but that takes nothing from Gabriela's (amazing to my eyes repost),i'm a bit torn to be completely honest Keith,seeing merits in both and struggling at this early stage to be clear on my own preference . Which ever way I am very grateful for your thoughts Keith.

Gabrieala thank you so much, truly as Steve so oft has done you have shown me things in the repost that are really enlightening,ahh shucks mate I'm so grateful you would spend a little of your precious time thanks muchly. Gabby when you say you have put a wee bit extra on the eye do you mean you isolated the hare,brightened him then sharpened then brightened the eye ? or sharpened the eye? or something different? I have read about folks doing specific work on eye's but I'm trying just for the base steps really here. Trying to get a handle, just roughly, on your work flow.

The spiders web means little to me Gabriela The crop fascinates me though I need to assimilate that with a bit of time,as I'm unsure as to whether I feel that it might effect the depth I perceive created by the upper reaches in the frame not only on the more obvious RHS top corner ,but also the LHS where light is coming through the trees it's that graduation upper left I like ,I think??? The work to the subject is really wonderful Gabriela really lifts him just stunning to see. This is what I couldn't achieve without loosing the bg colours and maybe to a degree saturation,that warmth I suppose in DPP being global.
    thank you so much for the time your ideas are incredibly thought provoking as usual,

Haseeb cheers, ha ha rebelious made me smile(it's probably more like ignorance being bliss). Oh and I wish it was dew,we must have had a heavy shower just before I woke,I got up looking like a wet dish cloth but dry inside. thanks for your thoughts though very kind
    Steve just brief even though you have constantly got my back you shouldn't apologise, even when you are busy you still managed to pick up on something I mentioned yesterday and ping me a pm. Buddy I made a hash of that and am rushing myself now,(but please forgive me going off topic) these little things will always be important to me when a guy who really knows little about me is trying to hard to help me,you will never have need to apologise,I'm just grateful dude nuff said !!
    Cheers for the encouragement !!

Yes HA, I know kiddo maybe next time and yes, you and those incredible eyes, had to spot the light through the ears which we both loved. We'll get there Steve,i'm always going to be slow,but still little steps.

Steve,I ramble a bit sorry ,but I need to say this:

I don't feel i'd have been able to take this image without help given here,by you guys and of course Diane's incredible help. Andeas's vid and words to me on ettr also need highlighting as part of making this possible.

Says it all really, i'm unsure about everything (including this image) as of yet,but sure on that one !!
    take care all

Stu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very pleasing shot to me, Stu - great use of low angle, light and mood.
    I think Gabriela's repost has taken it where it needs to go personally?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Morkel Erasmus View Post
    This is a very pleasing shot to me, Stu - great use of low angle, light and mood.
    I think Gabriela's repost has taken it where it needs to go personally?
    Thank you Morkel ! There is no doubt in my mind Gariela's repost is amazing for me,and has lifted what I can achieve at this time to another level. Seriously enlightening, I'm only unsure on the crop really,all this is so personal Morkel and as above i'm so unsure of myself I find it difficult to make my mind up. Time will help me here though with my evaluation of all this

take care

Stu

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Stu, Late to this one as it was a busy weekend and could only find time to post the Theme related stuff. I think you have done quite well experimenting here and my first thoughts were also along the lines of Gabriela's crop. I am undecided if I want to maintain the more silhouetted version of the op or go with the lightened version posted by Gabriela but for me the bright areas of the upper corners had to go. Keep experimenting.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry too Rachel,my web and phone have been down most of the week!! Thanks for the words,it's fascinating what others see in an image and the differing points they raise especially when there are slight differences of opinion.

Many thanks Rachel

take care

Stu