Thread: When Pippies go bad - Australian Pied Oystercatcher

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default When Pippies go bad - Australian Pied Oystercatcher

Name:  Australian Pied Oystercatcher_Matthew Jones_7954_1200-2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  384.5 KB
    Australian Pied Oystercatcher (Haematopus longirostris)
    Shoalhaven, NSW Australia

7D Mark II | 100-400 II + 1.4x TC @ 560mm | Manual, natural light (overcast) | Boogie Board + Jobu Gimbal head

I was amazed and privileged to see and photograph this not too often recorded behaviour of a sand pippie clasping onto the toe of an Oystercatcher. I'd be very interested to hear if anyone else has heard of this?? - thanks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It took a moment to figure out what is going on here (before reading your comment), at first I thought it was a dirty foot. Once I did clue in I thought that this was pretty darn cool! I have never thought of that actually happening, a first time seeing for me. Did the clam stay on for long or was the oystercatcher able to shake it off quickly?

I love the low angle, background. The best part for me is the wide open bill as if screaming in pain.

3. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ouch! Good low POV, lovely background; good exposure. Maybe a bit of blue cast?

5. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, wow and wow. Seeing this is one thing, hearing an other I imagine. But taking photos of it! Good timing, nice low angle and screaming open beak. Thanks a lot for sharing this...love it.

7. Thanks Matthew Jones thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Ouch! Good low POV, lovely background; good exposure. Maybe a bit of blue cast?
    Thanks Bill - I missed the blue cast
    Last edited by Matthew Jones; 04-23-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    It took a moment to figure out what is going on here (before reading your comment), at first I thought it was a dirty foot. Once I did clue in I thought that this was pretty darn cool! I have never thought of that actually happening, a first time seeing for me. Did the clam stay on for long or was the oystercatcher able to shake it off quickly?

I love the low angle, background. The best part for me is the wide open bill as if screaming in pain.
    Hi Dan, I spent an hour or so with the bird slowly getting closer and improving my images until It accepted my presence and ultimately shared its predicament with some curious backward glances and an opening of the bill. The bird had the pipi clasped to its toe the whole time and it was still firmly affixed when I left. I suspect it had been there for some time ie days. the bird had given up trying to remove the creature and could fly, albeit with a significant weight and aerodynamic handicap and was completely blighted by its peers which wanted NOTHING to do with the affected individual. All this of course made for a sizzling observation and photography session. I might add that I have heard of this behaviour only once before and am in the process of confirming the details. My own impression is the pipi may have been consuming the birds toe and would therefore remain there until such time as the toe dropped off. Australian Pied Oystercatchers invariably occupy the same habitats as pipies i.e the tidal zone along sandy beaches so the pipie was probably able to survive (and benefit) from this behaviour. Ultimately securing its freedom back into the wash zone. Thanks for your interest, sorry if this is a bit long-winded, you may like to see a short video link HERE
    Last edited by Matthew Jones; 04-23-2016 at 05:26 PM.

10. Thanks Daniel Cadieux thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Matt, that is amazing info!! Thanks for detailing it as such. Interesting behaviour form its peers too....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry for being so late. Missed this one. Very well done, love it. Firstly the detail, then I saw the clam Great work

Will