Thread: Redbilled Oxpecker

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Redbilled Oxpecker

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Friends,

It has been a while since I shared an image here but I suddenly got so tempted while viewing the latest threads last night. Thought I'd choose something with a tad of humour tonight, so here's a Redbilled Oxpecker "shouting" as he is about to receive a swat from his hosts's tail:) At the time I was observing this little bird he was busy diligently combing the fine hairs on the back of a buffalo when the Dagga Boy suddenly decided it was all too itchy and bothersome...

Nikon D4
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 800
    F7.1
    1/1600s

Processed in LR and PSCC, this is almost FF. I could have cropped a bit more from the LHS for a more pleasing comp, but something made me think of allowing some extra space in case the Oxpecker decided to jump and avoid the swat:) Another thought, I should have perhaps increased DOF slightly to make the fur patterns (twirls) more visible. My last observation, the buffalo's tail has a "plum" or rather magenta tinge to it, I thought of removing it but changed my mind. Let me know what you think?

Captured at Zulu Nyala Game Reserve a couple of days ago, it was past 10 am and rather harsh light but I could not resist... These little chaps are so gregarious and entertaining...I have much more to share from this sighting, would you like to see the rest of the images?

Thank you so much for viewing, comments and critique much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful (and funny) moment captured. Light looks good to me, and I like the comp. I could imagine a sliver off the left, but not much, if any.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The tail is what really adds the interest here and makes this image so unique. Plus I had to sit here and put this image together in my mind and that makes it so much fun.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That great Gabriela! I love the angry pose with the open beak as it's about to be swatted off the back of it's perch like a fly. Nice colors and details and I like the Bg as it really makes the Oxpecker stand out well. Great work
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That bird is telling that swishing tail what it thinks,just wish we had some of that African light of yours Gabriela it really does lift the whole scene,lovely job.

Keith.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, certainly different to the OX P posted here, I just can't make my mind up if it needed more to the RHS or as presented, especially for those who may not know the perch/tail, if you know what I mean.

Either a tad less SS so the tail had more movement, or a faster SS to freeze everything, as you had the ISO, just a thought. Love the circular patterns in the coat and a nice clean backdrop to offset the subject. With the tail swish, having an open beak amplifies the scene.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all so much for your kind comments, appreciated! I thought of Stu Bowie when I posted this, he loves oxpeckers:)

Steve, unfortunately I have no more space available on the RHS, tempted to take off a tad from the LHS though. Regarding techs, I understand precisely what you mean and will keep your advice in mind for future sightings. Having spent a great deal of time photographing Buffalo, I always expect the oxpeckers to be around and the opportunities are there, but they are quite unpredictable in terms of movement. The tail here just happened to "swish" at the right time, all I did is quickly recompose to include it, hoped for a repeat but it was not to be. The good news is, I have more images to share

Keith, you should see what the light is like around here on a late afternoon, after a little rain storm

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, Oxpeckers are such character-full birds and you certainly captured their essence in this image. The tail adds a lot of interest and the look of suprize/disdain on the oxpecker's face brings both interest and the humour you elude to. The BG is also moody and adds to the image. My first impression was that the light was a bit harsh but you have handled it well. If anything, I guess you could get a bit more detail in future shots of this species. Thanks so much for sharing this cool moment!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Richard for taking the time to view and kind comments:)

I think I might have some more pleasing images of those oxpeckers but could not resist sharing this the other night... It made me smile and hoped it would have the same effect on everyone else:) The light was harsh, this is indeed not perfect but I tried my best

Wishing you a wonderful week-end, kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gaby, one of the best Oxpecker images I have seen. Love the irritated pose of the Oxpecker with the open beak, and you have brought out the detail on the Buffs hide very well. Overall well exposed, especially on the tail, and a lovely smooth BG too.

The raised tail into the frame takes this over the top. Well captured.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you dear Stu, I was hoping you'd see this:)

I so appreciate your kind comments and just taking the time to view

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea