Thread: Two Mouths To Feed...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Two Mouths To Feed...

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image yesterday morning at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. I posted it late last night, looked at it this morning and didn't like it. I took it down and reworked it this morning with better light and conditions for post processing. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
    1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering +1/3 EV ISO 800 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool image. Light was harsh and the shooting angle isn't the best, but I love the energy of the young ones directed to the parent and the food. Maybe I'd sharpen it a little less.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Lorant, thank you for viewing and commenting. Actually I was working on it probably while you were writing your comment. Looking at it just now I thought it was too much contrast from the bright mid-morning light. I can't change the shooting angle, the nest is about fifty feet up a dead palm tree trunk. Here is a repost with the contrast lowered.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks much better to me. The sharpness looks good now as well.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really love the action you have captured here, such an awesome moment. I prefer the second post with less sharpening. Only pity is the head angle of the adult (but you cant have everything your own way :)). I great BG would also take this image to the next level. TFS

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful capture Joseph, this is super special and I am so taken with the two little chaps demanding their food!

I like the clean BG and the vertical "perch", well exposed image and some nice vibrant colours - love those reds there and funky feather-do!

Nice and sharp and good detail in the blacks, my first impression when viewing was the "perch" being a tad too bright, still trying to make up my mind about this and very interested what the other members have to say.
    I enjoyed this frame tremendously and I absolutely love the behavioural aspect here, well seen and captured and yes some great techs too

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

...and thank you from the heart for sharing a number of images from this sighting in the Story Sequence Forum, Joseph - I so appreciate it

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Lorant about the light and POV, about which you had no control. But the pose is terrific, with great positions of all three birds, especially getting both youngsters' eyes and bills clear. I might take a bit off the bottom, or both the bottom and the left, if the IQ can take it. And I know the Florida sky can get very blue but I might consider a slight desat. Still, it's a marvelous moment you've capture.d

13. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer nest and behavior. Love seeing the 2 chicks but I do know there's a 3rd there too! I only wish this had been taken a little earlier in the day with better light. I think in the next few days you'll have more opportunities with all 3 at the nest cavity earlier in the day b/c they'll be a little older. I look forward to seeing you there very soon!!! Maybe we shall finally meet.
    Marina Scarr
    Florida Master Naturalist
    Website, Facebook

15. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla