Thread: Upgrade path - 1dx or a series ii 500mm

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Upgrade path - 1dx or a series ii 500mm

Hi,

I've got the opportunity to upgrade either my body or my main lens. The plan is to do one this year and the other next year.

My main setup at the moment is a Canon 5d3 with the 500mm f4is version 1.

I can just about afford to either upgrade to a 500mm f4is ii, which I feel will give me better IQ with the new converters and will be more future proof, or go with a 1dx, which will give me better AF and a faster frame rate so I can try a little more flight shooting. I've never tried a 2x on this lens, so if the v3 converter is capable of good IQ with my current lens, this option may give me a larger range of shots to go for (I'm thinking the 1.4 for flight and the 2x for the more static subjects).

The 1dxii and 600mm f4is ii are not an option unfortunately

Thanks in advance

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Get the lens, the 1DX has reached the end of its life cycle and will drop in value significantly in the next year. The glass will stay current and hold its value for much longer. Many of the improvements that the 1DX and the 1DX2 bring to the table are only accessible if you have a series II lens....
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Arash. The v2 of that lens will offer you more as far as an "upgrade" goes for the reasons already stated so I would go for hat first.

I just had the chance to try a 2x III with the 500mm this past weekend with slow-swimming ducks. I was impressed with it enough that I am tempted to get one for myself for non-action subjects when that extra reach is needed.

5. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike

Hope all is well

As you know, I bought the 500mm f/4 to link up with my 5D Mk3. My aim, was always to get a 1DX, and eventually I did. From my own experience., I can honestly say that my keeper rate has risen dramatically on both perched and esp BIF.

Hopefully I will be able to get the Mk2 lens, in a year or two, then I would be able to link it up with my 2xiii. I think I will still love the 1DX for a few years to come , works great with the 1.4iii.

Hope this don't play with your mind too much Its a big decision. I know.

Will

7. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the advice gents. My original plan was to get the 1dx, but then 2 500mm's came up at a very good price. The first one sold before I got my chance, and the seller of the second is now reluctant to make the sale, so unless I can find another one, I might have to wait a little longer for the lens.

I still plan to get both at some point so hopefully I'll get sorted eventually,

Thanks again for the input

Mike

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mike I am entirely happy with my 1DX and my 1 500 but I must admit if I hadn't got some expensive hols lined up I may well be looking at the 500mk II mainly because the af is faster and better with the 2xTC. I intend keeping the 1DX for some time it simply does everything I want